removing Windows Media Player 11?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
my friend has a fairly new laptop and wants to remove Windows Media Player 11 since MLB.com only supports up to WMP 10. He tried downloading WMP 10 and it says he already has a newer version on his PC. He never had WMP 10 so he can't just go into the Control Panel and rollback to the previous version. I fear that just deleting the WMP folder out of the Program Files folder would not help either since there has been a registry key that would still point to WMP 11.

Any solutions for this?

Did you try removing the media player entirely (add/remove programs in control panel), then look up windows medi player 10, and download. I am sure there are a bunch of sites to download it from.

WMP 11 doesn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs. You can only see it if you check the Check Updates box at the top and this only lets you roll back to a previous version. He doesn't have a previous version so he doesn't see WMP 11.

type regedit into the run window, you should be able to remove it from the registry that way. I've removed things that add/remove wouldn't let me remove. Not sure if it will work on an actual windows program though....

I think I got it. I forgot to have him click on Add/Remove Windows Components on the left hand side of the Add/Remove Programs window. Of course, now he's not home so i can't get him to test this.

I would suspect that WMP 11 is pretty well intergrated into the OS so don't just delete a folder or registry key. The best bet is to remove it from the components part of Add-Remove Programs but I am not even sure that it is actually removed with that function. I really hate the way MS has done that over the years and just wish I could buy the OS without that kind on integration.

Blender said:
I would suspect that WMP 11 is pretty well intergrated into the OS so don't just delete a folder or registry key. The best bet is to remove it from the components part of Add-Remove Programs but I am not even sure that it is actually removed with that function. I really hate the way MS has done that over the years and just wish I could buy the OS without that kind on integration.

Unfortunately, I think Blender nailed it there. I don't think microsoft would set it up so you could delete a major part of their OS. Rotten monopolies......

Doesn't matter though, you could never pay me enough to use a Mac:mug:

well I thought we were able to uninstall it. he used the add/remove Windows components section of the add/remove programs, he said it successfully uninstalled. He rebooted and when he tried to install WMP 10, he got the same error saying that a newer version was already installed. I told him to check C:\program files and the Windows Media Player was still there.

Flyin' Lion said:
Todd asks a lot of 'puter questions for his "friend". :D

Hey now. I can't upgrade to WMP 11, something about an unauthorized copy of Windows or something like that.....

Back