Removing wax from a bottle!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miggs3030

Reaction score
Iam tired of seeing beer reviewers on YouTube having trouble removing wax from a bottle. I have even read on these forums people complain about removing wax from bottles and how brewery's should stop doing this . People Iam here to say there is an easy way to remove wax.

Step 1. Grab a lighter slightly tilt bottle and heat the wax.
Step 2. Use knife or bottle opener to cut through the wax right where the cap is.
Step 3. Remove wax pop top and drink.

This has never failed me.

This has never failed me.

...except on New Glarus bottles ;)

Those things can be tricky. Do you or anyone else have an easy way to remove very thin wax like this for re-using the bottles?

Sometimes I can slit with a razor and carefully peel, but most of the time not. Heat/hot water just melts it even thinner which then seems impossible to remove. I guess I could try a chemical remover, but don't really want to. Any advice?

...except on New Glarus bottles ;)

Those things can be tricky. Do you or anyone else have an easy way to remove very thin wax like this for re-using the bottles?

Sometimes I can slit with a razor and carefully peel, but most of the time not. Heat/hot water just melts it even thinner which then seems impossible to remove. I guess I could try a chemical remover, but don't really want to. Any advice?

If the wax is not easy to remove. I just throw the bottle out and not worry about it. Not worth the effort to remove the wax. To open i use waiters cork screw and use the knife to cut under the wax and open.

waiters-corkscrew-oneida.jpg

There's a brewery in Cleveland called Indigo Imp that waxes one bottle in each six pack. They put a small string on it and you can just pull the string up and the wax cuts and comes off very easily.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

Back