Removing stuck corny keg post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had this problem and searched and searched google and HBT for an answer, and the only answers I found appeared to be either get someone to help hold the keg while straining to remove the post, or use an impact wrench--or hammer on a non-impact wrench.

There's another way, if you have a 1x2 board lying around (I'm sure a narrow piece of plywood would work, and similar).

All I did was lay the keg on its side, used the 1x2 to act as leverage against the ground, and the post came loose quite readily. Here's a couple pics to show what I mean:

cornykegleverage.jpg

cornykegleverage2.jpg

You could also fill the keg to generate gravitational mass and tap the wrench with a rubber mallet. I hate a stuck post.

I solved a similar issue by sitting on the keg and using the mass of my big fat ass to immobilize it.

Just make sure to use a tiny bit of anti-seize before re-assembly. Stainless steel galls horribly.

Latest posts

Back