Removing Mold from Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
The top of my Kegs have various degrees of mold on the outside. Any suggestions on how I should remove it?

I've used Vinegar and it's gotten some of it off but really isn't knocking it out all the way.

I have a clorox spray I used in the chest freezer but I'm worried about using that on my kegs...

fill a big rubbermaid bin that you can get from walmart with water 5 gallons at a time, measure how many gallons so you can put the appropriate amount of oxyclean or pbw in it
mix the stuff in it and submerge the keg, let it sit over night....... then scrub with a plastic bristle brush and possibly some steel wool if you really need to scrub.... that should take care of any and all of your problems..... if possible use warm water but cold water can/will do the trick..... it worked for me in removing a bunch of stickers, gooped up soda residue and black mold..... should do the trick for ya

I've never had mold on my kegs, but I would think a cheap vodka solution would kill the mold overnight. If that fails, the chlorine spray will definitely due the job.

Back