removing kegs from cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbrewer

Reaction score
i have a nicely conditioned vienna light all grain brew that has been tapped for 4 days. Can i remove it from the kegerator and let it age a little more at 65 degrees?
Will this ruin my brew?

Yes it will be fine. Don't worry about it. Most commercial beer that has been cold conditioned doesn't stay at those temps. It sits at room temp during transport and usually sits at room temp at the store.

I do not disagree, but it depends on what you mean by a little more aging. Are we talking 3-4 weeks or a year?

Long term storage of beer at higher temperatures is bad. Dr. Charlie Banforth from UC Davis has done a lot of work on this, so this isn't my opinion.

For about every 10 degrees in temp increase the speed of a reaction roughly doubles. This is true not just for beer, but all chemical reactions. Temp increase will also accelerate good and bad reactions equally - unfortunately, most reactions that occur in packages beer over time will negatively affect flavour stability.

Anyway, don't sweat it. This shouldn't ruin your beer. But if you have the option of storing your beer for 1 year in a fridge, or 1 year in the garage at 80F - take the fridge.

Anyway, don't sweat it. This shouldn't ruin your beer. But if you have the option of storing your beer for 1 year in a fridge, or 1 year in the garage at 80F - take the fridge.

I agree. The difference between your and commercial beers, too, is that the majority of commercial beers are pasteurized.

Latest posts

Back