Removing Keezer collar and placing on new chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I made the Keezer below and spent some time making a nice stained collar I am proud of and would like to keep put the chest freezer recently broke. I bought a new one from Craig's list that is the same dimensions and I want to remove the collar from the broken one and put it on the new freezer to save a lot of time and expense. Any tips on how to best remove it with minimal damage to collar? It was attached with liquid nails and is on there good. Thanks!!

Maybe a thin chisel or a paint scraper with a hammer. Tap the chisel or scraper in to break the bond all around the collar. You could possible do it with a thin reciprocating saw blade favoring the collar and slightly cutting towards the freezer.

I think a reciprocating saw might cause some damage. Chisel might work. Might try a hacksaw with a fine blade and cut gently.

Is there a plastic lip on top of the freezer? If there is you could try getting that off and use a belt sander to sand it off the bottom of the collar.

the Liquid Nails website says you can use Petroleum Jelly to soften the adhesive- also says over 140 degrees will soften it enough to be pliable. A heat gun on low would probably work great.

heat gun works or even a strong blow dryer (although you may burn out said blow dryer and your wife may be pissed) I have used a sturdy paint scrapper and a heat gun on liquid nails with success.

If it were silicone, which is what most use to attach a collar, I would say take a thin wire and fish one end between the collar and the freezer. Then grab either end of the wire and pull it along to cut the silicone. But I'm not sure whether a thin wire will be strong enough to cut the liquid nails or not??

If the wire doesn't work, I have a feeling your going to tear something up...

But good luck and let us know how it goes!

UPDATE: No need for the heat gun, guys. I just got it off with a hacksaw, hammer and flathead screwdriver. Way easier than I thought.

Got the corners with the hack saw and the and then worked the screwdriver in from each corner and gradually popped it off

Got the corners with the hack saw and the and then worked the screwdriver in from each corner and gradually popped it off

Nice job. I would have gone at it with an angle grinder. It's my goto tool for hacking stuff :)

Next time, just a thin bead of silicone caulk. You only need enough to make sure there's no air leaks.

I had the same issue as you. I scored it all the way around with a utility knife on both sides, then I used a putty knife. I would push it in and move it side to side, remove and repeat. Once you have 3 sides free you can lift it off with a little force.

Back