Removing an unusual cornelius "gas-in" post.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first kegging and I'm working to recondition some old cornys. I have watched a youtube video on kegging and it showed removal of "in" and "out" ball lock assembly posts and tubes from the keg, to sainitize them. Removal was facilitated using either a 7/16" or 9/16" open end wrench. Surprise, my "gas-in" post has a 12-point nut. Does any one have any experience with this type of post and what do you use to remove it?

I'm getting ready to do my first kegging and I'm working to recondition some old cornys. I have watched a youtube video on kegging and it showed removal of "in" and "out" ball lock assembly posts and tubes from the keg, to sainitize them. Removal was facilitated using either a 7/16" or 9/16" open end wrench. Surprise, my "gas-in" post has a 12-point nut. Does any one have any experience with this type of post and what do you use to remove it?

All of mine have 12 points on their "nuts"! But, I like to use a deep socket.

I had an issue with a couple of these here is a thread about it. Eventually I got them with off with a 22mm 12 point wrench and a hammer. That was after soaking them in hot water.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/corny-post-wrench-sears-120390/
untitled8.JPG

IIRC the 12-point ones are 7/8". In fact my kids (age 8 & 11) gave me the appropriate 12-point deep well socket for my birthday :) All of my other kegs take a 9/16" (edit: or maybe 11/16") socket and the standard depth works OK as long as it isn't pushed all the way onto the wrench.

IIRC the 12-point ones are 7/8". In fact my kids (age 8 & 11) gave me the appropriate 12-point deep well socket for my birthday :) All of my other kegs take a 9/16" (edit: or maybe 11/16") socket and the standard depth works OK as long as it isn't pushed all the way onto the wrench.

Yep.

I have a bunch of cornies and the posts vary in 3 different sizes for me. But the ones that have 12-points posts are all the same, 7/8".

Really, a decent set of 11 or so SAE wrenches from 1/4" to 1" (one end open, one end 12-point closed) is worth owning anyway. But 7/8 is the biggest you'll find on common ball-lock cornies.

Ditto a decent metric set and a larger set, but those aren't useful for brewing.

Back