Remote probe thermometer wort proofing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys, if I buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123#ht_4350wt_911

can I use silicone to make these sensors water proof?

I have a little hole in the lid of my mash tun picnic cooler, and by now I used kitchen thermometer with a probe that I just put through the hole directly into the mash.

it worked fine but got crazy (reading way off), I suppose because condensed water got through the fine mesh...

now I would like to use this one from the link... what do you think?

I think you'd need to first insert the ends into a piece of copper tubing and seal an end off first.

but why? if I just insert this sensor into a silicon tubing that is sealed in both ends, I don't see a reason for copper tubing...

maybe I'm just ignorant, so please elaborate!

but why? if I just insert this sensor into a silicon tubing that is sealed in both ends, I don't see a reason for copper tubing...

maybe I'm just ignorant, so please elaborate!

copper will conduct the heat the silicone tubing will insulate the probe.

copper will conduct the heat the silicone tubing will insulate the probe.

cmon, but silicone would have insulate the probe in the first post of this thread!

this guy just inserted the probe inside the silicone tubing....

cmon, but silicone would have insulate the probe in the first post of this thread!

this guy just inserted the probe inside the silicone tubing....

No its not you are only waterproofing the lead not the sensor . These thermos will stop working if the wire that goes to the Stainless steel insertion probe gets wet . The Tip of the probe itself is waterproof

as you can see here the tip is left as it was and the wire lead is in the silicone '

probeseal2.jpg

probeseal.jpg

I just used 1/4 air line that u use for fish tanks. Then I stuck the line in some olive oil and sucked it through the line. Then after I got it all through, I blew the excess back out. Inserted the probe and slid right on. Then I used small zip ties to seal it. I learned the hard way of just putting the lube on just the probe after having to cut the hose a couple of times.

Just brought a Sunbeam unit back to life by baking it. I've learned that whatever I need to know in life, I can just search HBT.

Going to be using the silicone line/O-Rings setup by BobbyM to waterproof it. Thanks!

Count me as another satisfied user of this method. I started building my AG setup this weekend and did this trick on two thermometer probes, one for my HLT and one for my MLT.

Like some others reported, I had trouble finding #70 O-rings, but Home Depot had #60 O-rings and they fit perfectly over my probe, so I used them. 10 for $2.27.

I also used the so-called "silicone" aquarium tubing, but only because I will NOT be using these thermometers in the oven. 8' for $2.49 from PetSmart.

I put a few drops of food-safe mineral oil in the tubing and let it drip about halfway down the length of tube before I pushed it over the probe. Then I used a soldering pick to stuff the inner O-ring into place around the probe, and to stretch the outer O-ring up and over the tube. The hardest thing about the process was working with small pieces with mineral oil on my hands.

So for under $5 and 20 greasy minutes on a Sunday afternoon, I upgraded two otherwise serviceable thermometers that I was thinking of replacing. Thanks, Bobby_M, for a great idea. :mug:

Add me to the chorus. I was wondering why my digital meters always seemed to go haywire while brewing before I stumbled on this thread. I had a easy time sliding some aquarium tubing on my Onieda meter, but my cheaper walmart probe was a bit of a *****. The crimp on it's probe made it resist sliding the tubing over it. I ended up taking some pliers and 'uncrimped' the crimp. After I did that, I was able to slid the tubing over it. I also used a few drops of olive oil as my lubricant.

Anyway, thanks Bobby for the tip!:mug:

Bobby, I have the same Temperature Probe. I found it a nice cheap solution for mashing and reading the temperature for the whole mash.

I'll have to pick up some tubing for the probe.

I just tried this and it was a success through the first brew. Bought this probe therm from morebeer and this silicone hose. Picked up #60 O-Rings (1/4" O.D. x 1/8" I.D.) from Lowes. Heated up some food grade lubricant for a few seconds over the stove just until it melted then sucked it through the hose. Threading the probe and getting the o-rings in place was no hassle at all. Another thanks to Bobby!

Update:

Probe started reading off during the second brew. I noticed there was a fair amount of lubricant left in the tube after I threaded the probe and I was a bit worried about it. The stuff melts at 120'F, and it ran down the tube to where the probe meets the wire and must have messed it up the same as wort has for other people. I tried baking it but was still not getting consistent readings. I ordered two more probes (gotta have a backup now) and put a drop of silicone sealant where the probe meets the wire and just applied a small amount of lube to the probe itself and didn't lube up the inside of the tube this time. I'll post again if any more problems occur.

I'm glad I found this thread. I had donated my old HLT Keggle with built in thermometer to a homebrewer that lost his house in one of the Texas wild fires and started to build a new one yesterday (video on cutting the keg to be posted on youtube soon).

I figured why drill a hole and buy another thermometer when I can waterproof the probe of one of my meat thermometer/timers and even set an alarm when it hits my desired temp.

Off to Lowes and PetSmart today. Lucky for me, they are 5 minutes away and across from each other in the same shopping center.

Great stuff Bobby M! Thanks!

My web host is down right now otherwise the pics would be in the first post. Actually, it's not too uncommon for a 5 year old post to have broken image links.

Yea Bobby, just looked again at your OP and saw you mentioned pics but then there is a big blank spot. Guess the links are/were broken someplace.

Sorry to revive an old thread but what diameter (ID and OD) O-ring would I get? I tried home depot but they had nothing useful in stock so I'll have to order it online. Anyone have a link that could guide me in the right direction?

>>Sorry to revive an old thread but what diameter (ID and OD) O-ring would I get? I tried home depot but they had nothing useful in stock so I'll have to order it online. Anyone have a link that could guide me in the right direction?

This is what you want:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...&langId=-1&keyword=danco+o+ring&storeId=10051

2 tips

#1 - heavily coat the probe, and begin inserting it, and the lube accumulates along the sides of the tube. Pull the probe out, push the extra lube into the tube, and reinsert the probe. Insert it around a foot, then squish it back out (dont pull) and repeat with adding more keg lube.
It took me about 5 minutes to get the probe through to the end.

#2 - the only thing I found hard was getting the outside O ring (the clamp) over the tube. What I ended up doing was fitting the O Ring around a thin pliers, then opening the pliers, expanding the O ring. Then I was able to get the tube through the O Ring.

Once you get the equipment
(thermometer, keg lube, O Rings, tubing), its a half hour project.
If I were to do it again, I think I'd be done in 15 minutes.

I used 3 feet of tubing, so it doesnt come all the way up to the thermometer, which is fine.

I didnt put the tubing past the bend.

Bobby - is there a reason to have the tubing passed the bend?

New here, first post - been lurking and learning for a few weeks. Haven't had anything to post as I am overwhelmed by the knowledge base.

I did my first all grain BIAB a couple weeks ago and got my remote probe wet enough that the temps were bouncing all over. Just getting back into brewing after a dozen years of letting my equipment sit in the celler (life gets in the way of hobbies some times).

Anyway, I probably blew my mash temps. My floating thermometer as it turns out was also kerplewey with separated mercury. I dried out the probe in the oven and it seems to be within three degrees at boiling temps.

Just picked up some tygon fuel line 1/8 id 1/4 od. I tried sliding it on with some baking grease, and that just made a mess. What worked really well was heating up the tubing in hot tap water. It slid on even past the crimp really easy. If you are having trouble give that a try, hope this helps someone.

Has anyone tried just putting a couple of zip ties around the silicone tubing to "seal" it around the probe? I have no intent of using this in the oven, just for mashing, so I'm not worried about melting silicone or plastic.

I used a bic ballpoint pen and started from the ballpoint side and rolled 4 #60 o-rings until they were in the middle of the pen, then took the cap and and ink tube out, leaving only the outside tube. I then slid the silicone tubing into the pen tubing and rolled the o-rings off onto the silicone tubing. Now getting the o-ring on the inside part was a ***** lol. I'll see if it works tomorrow as I am doing my first BIAB. I thought of using the Zip ties but chose not to, did that go ok?

I used a bic ballpoint pen and started from the ballpoint side and rolled 4 #60 o-rings until they were in the middle of the pen, then took the cap and and ink tube out, leaving only the outside tube. I then slid the silicone tubing into the pen tubing and rolled the o-rings off onto the silicone tubing. Now getting the o-ring on the inside part was a ***** lol. I'll see if it works tomorrow as I am doing my first BIAB. I thought of using the Zip ties but chose not to, did that go ok?

I just finally got the tubing, new thermometer (to replace the one I ruined), and zip ties to put this all together. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it should definitely help "dunk proof" my thermometer. I still plan to be pretty careful and not completely submerge the probe on purpose, but this should buy me some protection if I slosh the mash tun around a bit. I should hopefully be able to test it this weekend or next.

I ordered the same digital thermometer and got my tubing through mcmaster carr just to make sure it was food safe and higher temp rating of around 400 degree.

I wasn't sure how accurate the thermometer would be. So I calibrated it ice bath and the boil method. I was very please to see both were right on the money. So I am very happy and very ready to make better beer now that I can know the temp I am shooting for is accurate.

I installed the tubeing using a o-ring under and over. Had to use a couple a one end prong of a couple of forks to stretch the o-ring over and to stretch the tubing over the first o-ring. Works perfect though. Then on the other end of the temp probe I put a tight zip tie just to seal the other end incase the entire cord falls into the water.

9167493652_f56f680389_z.jpg

Paul,

Can you list the part# from McMaster Carr and any other parts you used?

I am looking to copy your same setup.

Thanks!

Just went to home depot and got some tubing and 2 sizes of o-rings. They actually had a pretty big selection of these. Should be clear in the pictures the exact sizes I got. They work perfectly with the probe I have which is from a maverick wireless thermometer - the same one I use for smoking.

In the long run, maybe mine are snug enough but the tubing easily fit over the probe and since I was using the straight BBQ probe, I just pushed it through the 18 inches or so of tubing - no lube needed. I slid the tubing further down the braid so the connection to the probe would not get wet and put that end of the tube in some hot water for a minute. Pulled it out and dried it quickly with a paper towel and I was able to get it to stretch over the orings which go snugly around the probe. The ballpoint pen trick someone earlier mentioned helped push the orings in place while I pushed the tubing over them. Only took a couple of minutes - BTW, I put 2 orings under the tubing as a precaution. I didnt think the small orings would then stretch enough to safely secure the outside, so you can see in the pictures that I got a larger pack for the outside. Again 2, 1 after and 1 before.

I dunked the whole thing in some hot water for 30 minutes an no leak. We'll see it works during brew time but I'm optimistic I have a workable solution for my setup. I think I only spent about $7 for the orings and tubing.

20140101_155425.jpg

20140101_155451.jpg

Tried it out this weekend with my session IPA and worked like a charm. No water got past the Orings. Was much nicer to sit back from the couch and watch the temp go up than hover over my pots with a temp fork dipping it in every few minutes.

Tried it out this weekend with my session IPA and worked like a charm. No water got past the Orings. Was much nicer to sit back from the couch and watch the temp go up than hover over my pots with a temp fork dipping it in every few minutes.

Used it during 4 other brews since and it's great. I can finally monitor how my wort chiller is doing while watching tv. Very liberating.

I know this post is a million years old, but do you by any chance still have the pics from the original post? They aren't loading anymore and I'd love to see your solution (I've ruined 3 thermometers before figuring out the probes shouldn't be submerged).

On a side note, I just ordered your pump connection kit today :mug:

My probe was water proofed with the tubing since I got it. The Taylor probe lasted about 4-6 brew sessions not just read low. Didn't last. I just keeps saying low.

Anyone find a brand that lasts?

Also, I like your idea of using o-rings to seal the tubing. I used high temp 1/8" silicone tubing, and it fit so tight that I didn' t need it, but for slightly larger tubing that is a very clever little solution. Thanks for writing it up and posting the pics.

Hey FlyGuy, when you say 1/8" inch is that inside diameter or outside diameter?

Back