Remembering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It is a stunningly beautiful day here in Illinois - crisp, cool, bright sun, a gentle breeze and gold/scarlet leaves everywhere. As I'm enjoying the view at Estate du Pappers, sipping on my coffee, relaxing after doing a couple of hours of work around the estate, my mind is drawn to All Saints Day, which in my faith tradition is celebrated today. Everyone has stories, in their families, about death - when it came too early, when it came too late, when it was just right. And of course the memories of those we miss.

In my case, my father passed away when he was 28 and my mother when she was 52 - too young. I try to share with my children a sense of both of them - neither had a chance to know them, although my oldest was with my mother when she died, but he was less than a year old.

Here's a couple of quotes that I appreciate:

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.
Leonardo DaVinci

Pale Death with impartial tread beats at the poor man's cottage door and at the palaces of kings.
Horace

It is impossible that anything so natural, so necessary, and so universal as death, should ever have been designed by Providence as an evil to mankind.
Jonathon Swift

So, today, here's to the beauty of the world around us, the memories of those who have gone before us, and the possibilities of lives well-lived.

It was a beautiful day in Wisconsin yesterday too, and the same was celebrated in my church, followed by a fantastic sermon from my pastor about those that passed being on the opposite side of the altar during communion. Quite appropriate.

I'm sorry to hear of your losses, but at least you have the memories that cannot be taken from you.

Latest posts

Back