remedy for low carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
It appears that my unplanned dilution during racking (trying to get the siphon going-have since purchasd an auto-siphon, amazing gadget), along with an extended time in secondary-has made my brown a bit flat. There is some carbonation, but not what I'd like-and there's no head at all. It's only been in the bottle 10 days, but it seems like it should have been carbed by now. Is there anything that could be done? It tastes good, so it's not the end of the world either way.

What I have done in the past with some success is lay the bottles on a flat surface like a counter top, and roll them back and forth a couple of times. This will get the yeast back into suspension. Then put it somewhere out of direct sunlight with 70+ degree temps.

10 days isn't really long enough- two weeks to three weeks is a better indication of carbonation. If it's slightly carbed now, it'll probably be perfect in another week to 10 days!

BrewDey said:
It appears that my unplanned dilution during racking (trying to get the siphon going-have since purchasd an auto-siphon, amazing gadget), along with an extended time in secondary-has made my brown a bit flat. There is some carbonation, but not what I'd like-and there's no head at all. It's only been in the bottle 10 days, but it seems like it should have been carbed by now. Is there anything that could be done? It tastes good, so it's not the end of the world either way.

I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone else who asks this question, and what people told ME when I asked it a year ago...

COME BACK IN TWO WEEKS!

Carbonation is weird and unpredictable; sometimes a week, sometimes two, for me usually three, sometimes it has been four weeks before I got much of anything, and then it was perfect.

Relax, IT WILL BE FINE! PATIENCE!

Chris_Dog said:
Not to hijack the thread... just a related question

Will refrigerating beer to soon (7-10 days) kills beers ability to carb properly?

Cold yeast goes dormant. So yeah - keep them out of the fridge until they've carbed. 70° is ideal.

Back