Relief Valve on Corney Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this type of a relief valve on a ball lock corney keg...bought a couple of these on craigslist for $20 each. Not sure how that valve works...or is it something I should replace with new lids?

image-4070454182.jpg

image-1176505928.jpg

image-3829292913.jpg

I've not seen that type. I'd play with it under pressure, see how it operates, and make sure you can get cleaner/sanitizer in there. If so, go with them.

That's a pin-lock pressure relief valve... It's sacrificial, in that once it triggers (from excess pressure) it's done. You need to replace the valve after that. I've seen replacement valves (ball-lock type) on different vendor sites. Hunt around a bit and you should be able to locate them too. Or just get replacement lids for the kegs. Be warned, those tend to run about $15, or more.

Kind of tempers the price of the kegs...

Are the gas/liquid posts ball or pin lock?

My kegs have those and they work just fine. I have pin-lock kegs. It is a safety release valve and from what I've heard from a guy that sells a lot of kegs is that there a lot less problems with leaks with those vs the other kind that you can pull. If I need to vent gas I can press the gas valve with something

It's called a Hansen valve. You can find them on both pin-lock and ball-lock kegs, but more commonly on pin-liocks. There are quite a few people using them with no problems. You aren't likely to have pressures so high as to blow them. If you're nervous about them, you can buy keg lids on ebay. I've seen them there often for about $6.00.

Back