Relation between boil length and clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
Clarity in pale ales is important to me, mainly because in my experience you have to pay attention and work for it, and it's an indicator of your attention to the process of producing a clean pale ale.

Yesterday I brewed two batches. Both of which I used MODBS (mash-out double batch sparge) to collect about 8.5 gal into my 10 gal pot. I opted to go with a 2 hour boil to reduce to about 6.5 gal of wort in my kettle. I brewed two batches, and I can practically see all the way through my 6 SRM blonde ale. The clarity is far beyond what I've ever been able to achieve, and it's only 24 hours after brewing.

Does anybody else have experience with a long boil contributing to great clarity? I always use whirlfloc, so that hasn't changed. The only difference between this brewday and others is that I was shooting for much lower IBU levels (I normally aim for a BU:GU ratio of 0.8 to 1.5). It almost looked like that extra hour coagulated the break material much more. Any truth to this?

I believe its the vigor of the boil that is of more importance than duration. Try searching for "clarity" and you might come across some old threads that mention that.

My last two of three brews were Imperial IPA's with Whirlfloc @ 5 minutes, then Immersion chiller. They are/were clear as can be while they lasted. The third is in primary and was 90 minute boil, I don't see how it could be any clearer than the first two.

I have had no luck with boiling longer for clarity. I get clear beers when I vourlof the hell out of it and cool very fast after boiling.

Back