Reiterated Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently came across the BYO article and it has piqued my interested (due to my limited mashing ability - 5gal). In searching thru the recent forums I've noticed a number of people say they were interested or were going to perform the reiterated mashing relatively soon.

Has anyone done this recently to give some insight? I know i'm probably stirring the pot but I think this is worth trying at some point and am looking for first hand experience, numbers, calculations, anything.

thanx.

I recently came across the BYO article and it has piqued my interested (due to my limited mashing ability - 5gal). In searching thru the recent forums I've noticed a number of people say they were interested or were going to perform the reiterated mashing relatively soon.

Has anyone done this recently to give some insight? I know i'm probably stirring the pot but I think this is worth trying at some point and am looking for first hand experience, numbers, calculations, anything.

thanx.

I've thought about it. Planned out a brew using the technique. Planned out a partigyle beer using multiple 5gal mashes. Weighed those versus just adding DME to achieve the desired gravity and decided to stick with my DME method for now. The other methods looked to be alot more work to save a few dollars per brew. I don't make that many beers that exceed the limits of my 5gal mash tun so I don't see enough benefit at the current time.

Craig

i did one in nov. of 2006, motivated by the same limitations you're talking about and inspired by randy mosher's book, radical brewing.
i split my grains in half (20# maris otter and 2# of biscuit) and mashed the first half at 151 deg. f. with 3.5 gallons of water. one thing to keep in mind for the second mash is that your tun will be retaining quite a bit of heat, so take that into account as you try to hit the right temp. i overshot it by about 8 deg. and had already maxed out the capacity of my vessel, which prevented me from adding cold water to bring it back down. oh, well.
i collected 6.5 gallons of wort and boiled it for 1.5 hours, hopping it with 8 total oz. of chinook and amarillo and ending with a 1.110 o.g. i don't know what kind of efficiency that is, but it was fun. it finished out at 1.024.
a year and a half later, it's just starting to get good. very rich and with a complex maltiness. i wish now that i had used english hops though.
if you're wanting to brew some strong beers with that tun, i'd highly recommend this technique, or you could just brew 3 gallon batches.

Back