reiterated mash....anyone, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodog51

Reaction score
article from a december 07 BYO about using the wort from a mash as mash water for the second or third mash to obtain wort capable of a high gravity beer without the addition of extracts.

the article infers that the author used the tradition spray sparge brew technique.

i was wondering why reiteration method couldn't be used with BIAB?

i usually brew belgian styles and the candi helps to boost the ABV. i'm thinking the re-mash would be good for a heavy stout , barleywine , or smoked porter or even something like the N.B. #8 belgian.

has anyone used this method? the author says it doesn't shorten the brew day...at least not when using his brewing methods....

GD:mug:

Seems like the efficiency would suffer significantly in the second batch, compared to brewing more and boiling longer. I'm just guessing though.

I'm going to call that method the "Reverse Ninja Partigyle"

images

Seems like the efficiency would suffer significantly in the second batch, compared to brewing more and boiling longer. I'm just guessing though.

according to the author and editor of BYO, chris colby, this process is supposed to provide rich wort without using extract additions to produce a beer between 9-13% ABV. the idea is to use the wort collected from the first mash as the mash liquior for the next mash. the author uses a single reiteration method using primary & then secondary mashs and a double method using three mashs. of course with a longer boil an even higher ABV could be achieved when fermenting using the right yeast.

i was just wondering if this techinque had been used with BIAB since it has been around since 07. i'm thinking this maybe the method pro brewerys use to achieve higher gravity beers and then use the second runnings for a amber, mild brown or whatever will match the grain bill.

after reading this article again i do feel it is BIAB doable.......and may be worth the effort when a rich beer is desired using only grains.

GD:mug:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just using the same water on twice the grain bill, right? Like pouring coffee into your coffee maker to brew another pot?!

Seems legit. Not unlike doing twice as big a batch and boiling away half the liquid... just a different route to the same end.

I used to do BIAB w/ batch sparging and the re-iterated mash worked great on a barleywine.

I haven't done one yet, but from what I've read, the goal of a reiterated mash is to get a high OG wort with light color. If you over sparge and have to boil longer to hit your OG, you will darken the wort which defeats the whole purpose. There are several ways people go about this too. A method I plan to try in the near future involves using the first runnings from the first mash to do the second mash. While the second mash is going, you sparge the first mash, then you use the sparge runnings from the first mash to sparge the second mash. The goal is to obtain just enough wort for an hour boil with the highest OG possible.

Back