Rehydrating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebtr

Reaction score
I'm going to pitch yeast tomorrow into 7 carboys of fresh cider we pressed this week, sulfated yesterday. Going to use Saflager S 23 and W 34/70 yeasts, which worked very well last year. Last year I went through the effort of making a started with pasteurized cider and water. Label for these yeasts says sprinkle on the wort. Think that is enough? I have 2 carboys already going with Nottingham and Red Star champagne yeast where I just rehydrated in warm water for 20 minutes per the label, they did great. That was much simpler than making a starter

Different strokes I guess. Personally I've never made a starter for cider. For a 5 or 6 gallon batch I'll rehydrate per package instructions, sometimes using GoFerm. For one gallon batches I've just dropped a teaspoon of dry yeast into the carboy and let it sit. As long as temperature is about 70F it works fine.

Back