Rehydrating Safale 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100g of pure H20 is 100ml at 4C. It is like 0.998g/ml at room temp (20C). On the other hand, at boiling it is 0.958g/ml or 95.8g/100ml. If you are much off of this, your volume measuring device or scale is probably off. My guess is that whatever you are measuring the volume in is off (100ml is not really that much compared to what normal cooking volumes are needed).

Anyway, you really don't need to be that precise. I always weigh 100 grams and call it a day.

100g of pure H20 is 100ml at 4C. It is like 0.998g/ml at room temp (20C). On the other hand, at boiling it is 0.958g/ml or 95.8g/100ml. If you are much off of this, your volume measuring device or scale is probably off. My guess is that whatever you are measuring the volume in is off (100ml is not really that much compared to what normal cooking volumes are needed).

Anyway, you really don't need to be that precise. I always weigh 100 grams and call it a day.

Thanks, i was using a whole mason jar for no particular reason but after reading the fermentis site i noticed they recommend using 10 times the weight of the yeast in water.

I'll just go with 100ml for now on with 10 or so grams. :)

Yeah, I don't think it matters how much either. Although, don't do like I did last batch and put it into a nearly full espresso cup! Was in there for 30 minutes, and pushed the sanitized foil off!

Had my IIPA (1.075 O.G.) going strong in about a couple of hours and almost clogged the blowoff tube, in spite of 59F temps! US-05 rocks but needs headroom!

how long of a lag time till i should get worried. its been 24 hours and nothing yet.
my other batches took off quick.
they were tap water
this time i used store bought distilled water and yeast nutrient with safale 05 yeast
its a licorice stout
og 1.050
basement temp is 64

I rehydrated 2 packets of S-05 yesterday for a rauchbier in 500ml of water with some yeast energizer and nutrient and some cooled wort from first runnings. Pitched later that night and it's swirling like a tornado in the carboys as i type. I've also used the same by pitching dry into the carboy with similar results. i'm beginning to think that the only reason for complicating pitching methods is for larger than 5gal brews.

how long of a lag time till i should get worried. its been 24 hours and nothing yet.
my other batches took off quick.
they were tap water
this time i used store bought distilled water and yeast nutrient with safale 05 yeast
its a licorice stout
og 1.050
basement temp is 64

Distilled water is not the best for beer. Minerals are important for both mashing and fermentation. However, since you have yeast nutrient, the problem could be lack of aeration or a bad pack of yeast.

I the same with some US-04 recently that "may" have had both of these problems and didn't start quickly. I was distracted making the beer and forgot to aerate the wort. I just used the sprinkle method that time, as well. There should be enough viable yeast in a fresh dry pack to get most beers going with just sprinkling on dry. But if the yeast was stored poorly, it could have diminished numbers.

Hydrating does two things: it reduces "shock" from going directly into wort, and allows one to evaluate viability.

BTW, it's a good practice to keep an extra pack around (in the fridge) for emergencies. If you didn't get going in another 12 hours, I'd pitch more.

Rich

I rehydrated 2 packets of S-05 yesterday for a rauchbier in 500ml of water with some yeast energizer and nutrient and some cooled wort from first runnings. Pitched later that night and it's swirling like a tornado in the carboys as i type. I've also used the same by pitching dry into the carboy with similar results. i'm beginning to think that the only reason for complicating pitching methods is for larger than 5gal brews.

I almost always rehydrate but this past friday i forgot because i was multi tasking so i just pitched on top of the wort dry. This is a 1.092 IIPA and it was fermenting real heavy at 18 hrs. Hammering away like crazy now.
Cheers:mug:

No need to rehydrate dry yeast... Never has a problem sprinking it in. And the dry yeast (especially the S-04) goes like gangbusters. On Sunday, I sprinkled Windsor on a 1.064 OG IPA and it was fermenting within 5 hours @ 65F.

No need to rehydrate dry yeast... Never has a problem sprinking it in.

I did have a problem putting S-04 into a Pale Ale recently. I freaked after about 30 hours of no activity and threw in the only other yeast I had, US-05. It then took off as usual, but the ferment was long(4 weeks).

I think it was a combination of a bad packet (maybe stored too hot) and poor aeration.

If you look at the Fermetis web site, they do give instructions for hydrating, unlike on the package. While I don't always do this, when doing a stronger beer (where the pitch rate calculator says you need two packs), I just hydrate a single pack and it starts bubbling a couple of hours after pitching. There is a difference in the number of yeast surviving the pitch hydrated vs. not. But there are so many cells in the dry packs, it usually doesn't matter.

Rich

I don't think the volume of h2O makes much difference. Temp between 90-100 is important. I use a fairly large soup bowl with a wide top and about 8-12 oz. of water. I like the wide surface as you can sprinkle the yeast in a thin, even layer and get quicker and more complete hydrating. I think every batch I've brewed kicked off in less than 12 hours.

Back