Rehydrating Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcatbrewing42

Reaction score
Hi: I'm about to try a Munich Helles. The instructions for rehydrating on the packages and on their website are different and Palmer's book is another version. It sounds like this is more critical for lagers than ales. Lallemand does not recommend a starter and I like simple methods. Can anyone reconcile this or have a protocol that works?

Also- how about a diacetyl rest with this yeast? I was planning it but the information is conflicting.

Last edited:
Hi: I'm about to try a Munich Helles. The instructions for rehydrating on the packages and on their website are different and Palmer's book is another version. It sounds like this is more critical for lagers than ales. Lallemand does not recommend a starter and I like simple methods. Can anyone reconcile this or have a protocol that works?

Also- how about a diacetyl rest with this yeast? I was planning it but the information is conflicting.
Althoug I have only one lager under my belt, whenever I use drie yeast (wich is rarely these days) I just get a sterilised glass of hand warm water and pour the dried yeast in, to pitch it about 15 minutes later. Worked great for me. Can't help you on the diacetylrest question though. No idea.

I've used Lallemand and Danstar yeast. I've pitched direct from the package, rehydrated, and even made starters for both. Can't say it ever made any difference.

What does make a big difference is aeration. I use an aquarium pump with plastic aeration 'stones'. I put stainless steel nuts on the tubes, else they float up.

Back