Rehydrating lager yeast. What temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
What temperature should lager yeast be rehydrated at? The beer will be fermenting at 50F/10C. Should the yeast be rehydrated at that temp or warmer? For how long? If it's rehydrated warmer should it be cooled down to match pitch temp?

Not to totally ignore your question, but Fermentis no longer advises rehydrating -the yeast has everything it needs to get going. I would imagine the same is true for all the dry yeast companies.

Somebody else might chime in on your actual question.

What temperature should lager yeast be rehydrated at? The beer will be fermenting at 50F/10C. Should the yeast be rehydrated at that temp or warmer? For how long? If it's rehydrated warmer should it be cooled down to match pitch temp?

For the dry yeast startings that I use, the appropriate dry yeast lab web site have product information sheets with usage instructions. Current links:

If Fermentis says it's the way to do it I might try it.

Have you guys tried it?

I’ve been debating rehydrating dry yeast as well. As of right now I never have, and just dry pitching seems to work just fine... I did notice on one packet that it said to rehydrate, don’t remember which one.

@Jag75, @OpenSights, the original questions
Should the yeast be rehydrated at that temp or warmer? For how long? If it's rehydrated warmer should it be cooled down to match pitch temp?

were pretty specific (and OP was using S-189). So in general, with most strains of dry yeast, it's easy to say
Sprinke it or re-hydrate it - just be sure to pitch it.

but that doesn't answer the questions.

@Jag75, @OpenSights, the original questions

I should have quoted the op post of not rehydrating. That's what I was responding to. Should someone rehydrate dry yeast . My opinion no . Can you , yes .

were pretty specific (and OP was using S-189). So in general, with most strains of dry yeast, it's easy to say

but that doesn't answer the questions.

I should have quoted the op post of not rehydrating. That's what I was responding to. Should someone rehydrate dry yeast . My opinion no . Can you , yes .

10 home brewers will give you 20 bits of advice on one question. Lol!

Whatever yeast you use you should look up instructions for use on the package or the lab's website. Temperature and procedure vary a bit from yeast to yeast by the same lab and also vary from lab to lab.

I believe Fermentis is the only one that now advises to not rehydrate. AFAIK, all of them say that you can dry pitch if you want to.

Latest posts

Back