Rehydrated my dry yeast wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So I brewed an extract batch last night and pitched some safbrew t-58. I rehydrated it as follows:

Warmed up 1 cup distilled water to 85 degrees ( I know, wrong type of water). Added yeast. Stirred it up. It sat in there while wort was cooling. Got wort down to 65 degrees. Mixed some wort in with yeast, slowly bringing temp down to about 75. It was roughly 30 minutes from start to finish. Then threw it in fermenter and closed it up.

Was a bit concerned after reading some other posts about rehydrating. Some say it should be around 100 degrees, not to use distilled water, not to use wort, not to pitch it until the temp of yeast is same as wort.

It looks like it is Doing its job, but should I get an extra packet just in case?

When I do use dry yeast which is not often I add yeast to water that is 90-100f.
Dump in package but to not stir. I wait 15-20 mins then give it a gentle stir and at times I do add some wort.
I do not think you are too far off. You should be fine go get a home brew and chill...lol

You are going to be fine. Ck it tomorrow and it will be bubbling away.

In future go the the manufacturers website.

Pitching instructions: Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the
expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream
into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of
the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the
yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes
and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

No extra packet should be needed. A lot of people don't even rehydrate. I just went back to using dry yeast. I put it in room temp spring water and stir. Then I aerate while the yeast sits. Pitch and its fermenting like crazy within 12 hours.

Not in relation to the re-hydration of the current yeast, But yes, get another packet of yeast to have on hand. Just in case... a stalled batch, a delayed shipment, a spur of the moment brew.

I had a couple of times when I wanted to brew, looked at my recipe and yeast on hand and figured out I didn't have time for a starter. So I now always have some US05 on hand. I can always throw together an APA recipe on brewday.

So if my fermentation stalls, which it does sometimes, repitching won't do anything?

I'm only saying cause I'm worried I may have hindered the yeast, reducing the count and possibly under pitching the yeast. So I figured if the fg is high, I'd add another packet.

They cost $2 so why not?

When yeast is pitched into the wort the first thing it does is look around and see what it needs to get the job done. Then it replicates to the amount needed. Then it gets to work . If you are having attenuation problems then you are grossly under-pitched or you have an issue with the fermentables in your wort. If you think you are missing you fg you need to do a forced ferment to determine where your fg should be and we can help from there.

Back