Regulator screw won't turn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendragon

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the regulator screw not wanting to turn past a certain point. I had the regulator on 20 psi carb'ing a keg. I then lowered the pressure to seal another keg. Now I can't get the screw to turn in more than past the 10-12 psi mark. I had this same trouble when I first got the regulator and hooked it up. Although I unscrewed and screwed it back in enough that it eventually went back in further. Is it possible to get the screw threaded wrong if it's turned too loose?

I've disconnect the reglator from the keg and bottle and letting it sit out to warm up for a bit. Wondering if this might be some how due to the regulator being cold from being in the fridge with the keg.

The threads on mine needed a lube, probably should have gone out to the garage and hunted down some silicone grease, but lazy me just hit it w/ a lil chapsstick...been working great since...YMMV:mug:

The nut on the screw is loosened right? its not getting stopped by that?

I have the same problem. I am going to try the chapstick approach. Hopefully that fixes it. I am stuck at 12 psi, I can go higher with lots of effort, but lower is really hard/impossible without thinking I am going to break it.

What pressure does the high pressure side of the gauge read? Mine is now empty. So I'm wondering if it's something where the amt you can turn it is relative to the tank pressure. I'm just using a 20oz paintball cylinder until I can get to a place that can fill the 5# tank.

none of my 6 regulators have a loose screwing nut. hmmm.

id say +1 on corrosion of the threads, assuming the innards haven't gotten jossled out of position.

Hopefully it is working by now, and you probably already know this, but just to be sure...
If mean that you have the nut tightened up against the the head of the screw that wouldn't cause this problem. But if tightened against the bonnet assembly the nut acts like a locknut would. I'm guessing that's the reason it's even there- to prevent anyone from accidentally changing the pressure.

Back