Regulator questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grond

Reaction score
So...total noob questions here, but I searched the forums and couldn't find a definitive answer to any of these questions so here goes:

Can I move things around on a regulator...like swapping the gas intake and the gauge location?
Can I install regulators right onto a gas manifold for different dispensing pressures?
Is there a drawback to installing a CO2 tank DIRECTLY to a manifold?

I have 2 regulators and want to attach them to a manifold that is plumbed directly to my CO2 tank...what are the drawbacks?

- you have limited options wrt moving items around on regulators: the input is a high pressure port, as is the port a high pressure gauge screws into, while the output and low pressure gauges are on the regulated ports. And often the high pressure ports use LHT while the low pressure ports are RHT. You could swap the input stem with the high pressure gauge, and/or the low pressure gauge with the output shutoff, but that's it.

- one could construct a manifold with regulators. Or one could just buy a ganged regulator set.

- cylinder pressure can get up to 2000 psi or even higher given fill percentage and ambient temperature. Whatever is connected directly or indirectly to a cylinder valve it has to be beefy enough not to 'splode and kill someone. I definitely would not mess with cylinder pressure in such a manner.

The safe way to get most of what you're looking for is to use a primary regulator at the cylinder, then send the regulated output to a ganged set of secondary regulators. If you wanted to construct a secondary regulator beam, that'd be relatively safe.

Cheers!

regulator reduces the output of the tank, so no you do not want hook directly to a gas manifold. There are secondary regulators that will do what you want for dispensing different pressure.

EDIT: that's what I get for responding to a thread I opened in a new tab like 45 minutes ago, lol. day_trippr was a bit more thorough than I was!

Back