Regulator questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
So I'm taking my first beer ever I've always bottle-conditioned before. And as I'm putting CO2 into the beer The Keg I noticed that my CO2 regulator is not set up for pounds per square inch but setup for cubic feet an hour or liters per minute I'm not sure what I should use or how much right now I have it at 35 liters per minute hoping that that will work any suggestions

That regulator was either set up for welding or perhaps aquarium or indoor plant growing. For $10 you can replace the flow meter with a 0-60 psi pressure gauge, just make sure the threads will match up (usually 1/4" RHT NPT).

You cannot reliably carbonate beer with a flow meter...

Cheers!

That regulator was either set up for welding or perhaps aquarium or indoor plant growing. For $10 you can replace the flow meter with a 0-60 psi pressure gauge, just make sure the threads will match up (usually 1/4" RHT NPT).

You cannot reliably carbonate beer with a flow meter...

Cheers!
If you had to use the dlow meter until you could get a new gauge what would you set it at?

I dunno, zero?
I mean, theoretically CO2 will just keep flowing at whatever rate you set, and I have no idea when/if that would ever stop.
Seems like bad juju, maybe someone else has a different take...

Cheers!

I dunno, zero?
I mean, theoretically CO2 will just keep flowing at whatever rate you set, and I have no idea when/if that would ever stop.
Seems like bad juju, maybe someone else has a different take...

Cheers!

Maybe when the pressure between the tank and the keg equalize? I'm thinking the keg might blow before then....

I shouldn't post before I've had a beer ;)

It won't be that bad, of course - after all, it's essentially the same regulator guts as we use for dispensing and carb'ing.
The difference is most flow metered applications are venting into atmospheric pressure, but this is a "sealed" application (at least once the beer reaches equilibrium). So minimal flow setting will eventually stop flowing into the keg at some undeterminable pressure...

Cheers!

Back