Regulator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
So, I've never really paid attention to the reading of the main pressure guage on my 20lb CO2 tank. I took a closer look and noticed that the pin had jumped over the end post. I just popped off the cap and put it back on the correct side and there is a lot of tension on the needle keeping it pegged at zero. I've read on the forum that these guages will always be inaccurate because of the ambient temperature. Is that correct? Even for the corney PSI?

81f20cc5.jpg

Thanks...

Also, what is the function of the lock nut on the set screw? Typically, I just loosen or tighten the screw to hit my PSI and don't mess with the lock nut.

Here is a picture of the regulator with the valve open and the tank is full. Is 700 psi correct for a new tank?

7aef0bea.jpg

A room temperature (75F) tank with ANY liquid CO2 inside will be 900 psi

At keg temperature (40F) tank with liquid CO2 left is more like 400-500psi because the liquid CO2 exerts less pressure the colder it gets (and is why dry ice is a solid, but skips the liquid phase as it sublimates).

I think your gauge is just bad unless the tank is about 60F right now.

The psi won't drop until you run out of liquid CO2. then the needle drops like a rock.

Thanks for the response. The tank was probably around 60 degrees at the time. So, that is about right. Thanks, again...

Back