Regulator Problem - Not Sealing (?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
I am brand new to kegging and am just getting everything set up - replaced o-rings, got a new 10lbs tank etc.

When I hooked up me regulator to the tank and turned the tank on I got a blast of "air" blowing back at me a bit. The needle on the gauges both shot up a fair bit (I have the screw set all the way out/counter clockwise - is that good?) and that was it. No C02 transferred over to my keg it seems (I had the quick connect on the IN port).

Does my Regulator need a new seal? Or is there something else I am missing?

It's a Simgo -

the second pick is where the regulator connects to the tank. Should there be another seal or o-ring in there?

Regulator.jpg

Regulator2.jpg

Do you have a nylon washer to interface between the regulator and the CO2 tank?

You said (and your picture shows) that adjustment screw all the way out. That is the closed position. You have to screw it in to allow gas to flow through to the keg.

Does the regulator-to-tank coupler still leak at the tank outlet or not?

It appears you have a nylon gasket inside the coupler, you should be able to tighten the coupler nut down until there is no leak.

As for the regulator pressure control, yes, counter-clockwise to the limit will be your "zero pressure" setting...

Cheers!

Is the air coming from the tank connections or that little weep hole thingie next to the set screw on the front of the regulator? Tank connection in the pic is hard to see. Is there a small, hard disc in there? If not, get one.

If it's not the tank, disassemble the regulator by taking the front off. (Make sure it has no pressure in it first, jackass) Remove the circular rubber diaphragm and wipe it clean. Could just be a little crap got blown in there. Check the diaphragm for any cracks or slits. Put it back together (snugly, not too tight!) and test it out.

Yes, the tank connect has a hard plastic or nylon washer. It could be the coupler was not connected all the way. I do not think it was coming from the "weep hole", it felt like it was coming right from the tank.

When I try this again should I have the adjustment screw all the way out when I hook it up and turn on the gas still, or should I have it dialed in a bit?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am really looking forward to getting my first keg going!

Leave it dialed out and once you've confirmed that everything is all sealed up and there are no leaks, dial it in until the pressure is set to where you want it.

Well, tried it again to the same effect, unfortunately. I made sure the connection was very tight but I could still feel the blast of C02 as I turned the tank on. I'll take it by my LHBS and see if they can help out with it, other wise I may need to buy a new one.

It's not clear where the "blast of air" is coming from. The nut to the tank or from the regulator area, and in the last case, where? The hose connection?

There should be zero "air" anywhere if your regulator is dialed all the way back as you have it.

It's coming from where the Nut of the regulator meets the tank. The nut is on completely but when I turn on the tank there is a loud hiss and C02 escaping.

Your seal is likely shot or cracked. Some of those nylon washers have ribs. Make sure its not in backwards. Tighten it with a wrench.

I also teflon all threads even thought they bottom out on washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your seal is likely shot or cracked. Some of those nylon washers have ribs. Make sure its not in backwards. Tighten it with a wrench.

I also teflon all threads even thought they bottom out on washers.

+1^

As long as you use one single layer of teflon tape as thread lubrication (or even 2 in bad thread cases) that's perfectly fine. Just don't try to make a seal with it, as it may ultimately prevent you from tightening the nut appropriately to form a seal on the gasket.

Check for dirt or debris inside the nut too. Or badly marred mating surfaces.

Wiped out the nut, turned it nice and tight with a wrench and its all good now. I read that it shouldn't be to tight as it might damage the brass but was told otherwise by some guys in my club and it did the trick.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Cool... Now make sure you carb per a calculator..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back