Regulator pressure relief valve problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-jarks22

Reaction score
First time kegging and just got a regulator and tank filled up. Hooked it up, turned the knob and the pressure relief valve is blowing like crazy!! Tried turning the gauge knob all the way down and up, no difference. I have no idea what I'm doing... Help! Have a dual gauge compact regulator from home brew stuff.com and a 20# tank

Do you feel spring tension when you pull the ring on the relief valve? And does it pull out about 1/4"? It should have both tension and pull about 1/4" or so.
Another trick to try is to pull the relief valve's ring and let go of it quickly. Sometimes they stick open and that tends to seat the seal a little bit.

If that doesn't do it, is the pressure gauge building when the relief starts blowing?
Every once in a while my regulator starts climbing uncontrollably and the relief starts letting excess pressure out. I have to shut the tank off, and release any pressure in the system, then turn the tank back on slowly to fix that.

You could also have a bad regulator, or relief valve also. Don't rule that out just because it's brand new.

krazydave said:
Do you feel spring tension when you pull the ring on the relief valve? And does it pull out about 1/4"? It should have both tension and pull about 1/4" or so.
Another trick to try is to pull the relief valve's ring and let go of it quickly. Sometimes they stick open and that tends to seat the seal a little bit.

If that doesn't do it, is the pressure gauge building when the relief starts blowing?
Every once in a while my regulator starts climbing uncontrollably and the relief starts letting excess pressure out. I have to shut the tank off, and release any pressure in the system, then turn the tank back on slowly to fix that.

You could also have a bad regulator, or relief valve also. Don't rule that out just because it's brand new.

The relief valve has pressure as well as comes out about 1/4". Just tried pulling the pin and releasing real quik and that seems to have stopped it from blowing like crazy. But now the pin on the primary reg is stuck at 30 even when totally disconected

So now the primary gauge builds ( starting from about 30 psi and blows off at 60+. And I have it turned all the way counterclockwise and it is still taking pressure. Is that normal?

Ok so, I finally called homebrewstuff and they told me that they get these calls all the time. Had to take the pressure adjust off and the bolt with the pin in. Then just clean them put some Teflon tape. Now it works just fine! Thanks for the help

Back