Regulator Leak? Picture Included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vidarien

Reaction score
I'm just getting into kegging and just bought a CO2 tank and dual gauge regulator, well i finally got it filled today and i hooked it up, and when i opened the CO2 tank valve, gas was rushing out of the area in the picture i circled in red. Any tips?

imag0004v.jpg

Am i forgetting something or is the regulator faulty?

ok, theres a few things here. are you 100% sure its coming out of there. sometimes it can be leaking from the nut and nipple(just to the right of that) and it feels like its coming from that spot. Do you have a washer in there when you hook it up.

if your sure thats where the leak is coming from, either return the regulator, or just take the piece out(be careful sometimes its a left hand thread) look for burrs or cracks, put new teflon tape on it and put it back in.

good call, i couldve swore it was that fitting, but as you said, it was the nylon washer, i was originally just putting it inside the nut and screwing it in..and that wasnt working. This time i aligned the nylon washer where it needed to be and held it there until i screwed the regulator on, and that seemed to do the trick, at least for now.

spray bottle with soapy water.....hook up the reg to tank, turn on the tank and spray...look for bubbles to be sure...then you won't drain your tank.

BTW - the high pressure fittings going into the regulator bodies (including the high pressure gauge) are left hand threads as they are Cornelius Regulators. They are excellent units.

I hope you enjoy your participation on this forum - And - Welcome to the wonderful world of draft beer and kegging.

Welcome to HBT!
Warning: This place is addicting!

For what it's worth, go to your LHBS and get a couple extra nylon washers for your regulator. They can get chewed up after a few tanks of gas.

I've also used nylon fender washers from Ace Hardware. It works in a pinch!

Good call on the MFL fittings on the valves! They beat the hell out of hose barbs...

Back