Regulator help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Irie5447

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Ok, I am brand new to kegging and have literally been reading everything there is about kegging on this great forum and trying to learn as much as I can. I ordered a 2 keg setup from an online store that has been a complete nightmare to say the least. It took about two months to receive the keg setup and 2 kegs. According to the website items were supposed to leave their warehouse in 2 business days and none of the equipment was back ordered. I tried to call the owner numerous times with no luck, left messages and emails with no response. The kegs were ball locks that had no pressure relief valves which I thought was strange considering I assumed most of them had manual pressure relief valves?

Anyway, the regulator is a dual gauge with a barbed fitting with a check valve and it seems it has a pressure relief valve between the two gauges with a red plastic tab to manually relieve pressure. I hooked up the regulator to my newly filled 5lb tank and turned the tank full on. I had the adjustment screw almost all the way out so no gas was flowing. I slowly tightened the screw until I could start to see the gauge move to about 10 -12 psi which I assume would be normal serving pressure. I had the check valve open and felt CO2 coming out of the barbed fitting but also heard and felt air coming out of the hole in the relief valve. I tried to open and then close the relief valve several times but can constantly hear CO2 leaking out. Also closed check valve and still leaking. I can't see this being right? My only thought is that the regulator is broken and has something to do with the relief valve? I tried calling the company I bought if from and keep getting the same voice recording over and over. I never received any directions on anything and all I wanted to do was talk to someone from the company and explain the problem and see If I was doing something wrong. I feel like I'm stuck with this regulator and won't ever be able to return or exchange it due to the horrible customer service. After ordering all this stuff I did a search and found several other complaint about this place. So if anyone can give me some input or their thoughts on the regulator I would greatly appreciate it. I'm pretty much thinking about ordering a new one from a reputable company and figuring it as a complete loss on the old one!

Blender

Reaction score
I am no expert but I think you should run a clamp on the barbed fitting of the check valve. That should help repair that leak.

That may not affect the relief valve but I believe that the relief valve is replacable if yours is bad for some reason. Is this regulator new?