Regulator gauge gone crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
I have this regulator:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/double/premium_double_gauge_542.html

I added a splitter and now run three CO2 lines for 3 kegs. This has worked great for the last 18 months. Last night I filled a keg and hooked it up. I set the pressure and then noticed the gauge kept slowly rising, seemed to stop around 40 PSI. I kept adjusting down and pulling the PRV on the regulator. It would drop initially but then very slowly rise back up. Checked it again today and it was still sitting around 40 but I'm sure it wasn't actually that high. I closed the CO2 tank itself and the needle would still rise. Switched tanks, same thing. I read in another thread to try unhooking the other kegs. Tried that(unhooked all 3 kegs actually) and still it would keep rising.

I'm out of ideas and really have no idea how high my pressure is set. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Did the CO2 tank get disturbed in such a way that the dip tube might have been submerged? Or was the tank freshly filled? I've had fresh-filled tanks cough up some liquid or vaporous CO2 which does wreak minor havoc on a regulator. The quick fix is to remove the regulator and clear the tank's dip tube with a couple of short blasts...

Cheers!

Neither tank was freshly filled, not sure about the dip tube. I unhooked 2 of the 3 kegs from the gas about an hour ago. Just checked and the gauge was sitting at 50 PSI. Pulled the PRV on the one gassed keg for a second and the gauge dropped and stabilized. So far it seems to be steady, we'll see if it holds.

Thanks for the feedback.

I bet your regulator just needs a cleaning. Particles can get stuck in them and cause the pressure to slowly rise. Look at you tube for cleaning a regulator. It is very easy and regulators are very simple.

Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and replaced will take a shot at cleaning/repairing the backup to have a spare.

Back