Regulator for nitrogen gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke

Reaction score
Hi!
Im thinking about getting an nitrogen gas tube for my stouts.
I se there is different gas regulators for nitrogen, but i also heard that a normal co2 regulator would work if the valvehead thread is the same as on regulator. Can anyone confirm these "facts"?! Thanks!!

In the US, CO2 tanks use a CGA 320 fitting and nitrogen uses a CGA 580 fitting. If it's the same in Finland, there's no way the regulators will match up. Additionally, the vapor pressure of liquid CO2 means it won't get too much above 1000 PSI (depending on your temperature) but nitrogen tanks are generally filled to over 2500 PSI.

If the pressure rating on the regulator is at least 3000 PSI, and the gauges are in a range that will work, you can swap out the CGA fitting for one that will fit a nitrogen tank and it will work.

You can also get an adapter, like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7923A32

thank you very much for that information. It seems like we have the same fitting as you. Well at least the nitrogentank fitting was larger so it´s probably an 580.

Cheers man!

Back