Regular wheat malt too dark for a wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey, all. So, I'm new to all-grain, and I'm making lots of little mistakes. Like, buying white wheat malt and grabbing the regular wheat malt instead for an Allagash White clone (a wit). I'm just realizing this today, three days into fermentation. I know it will turn out just fine, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff. It was 2 lbs of regular wheat (I used flaked wheat for the rest of the mash) instead of the pale malt. Will this make any kind of difference to color or taste? If so, what?

Thanks,

CB

Ah, that's good. I found Allagash White a little thin (I'm
making it for my gf). So no real difference in color?

Huh. I haven't seen that type of grain anywhere. Good to know!

Well it's usually labelled as torrified or flaked in its pregelatinized state...but midwest does sell just unmalted raw wheat if you wanna cook it yourself.

Ah, ok. I did use flaked wheat for half of my wheat bill (2.5 lbs wheat malt, 2lbs flaked wheat). I'm new to mashing, so I didn't want to risk a stuck sparge.

Back