Regular Krausen or Pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srob18

Reaction score
Used US-05, it looks good to me, the clear thin bubbles are usually something I don't see though.

What's your vote, Krausen or Pellicle?

image.jpg

Hard to say for sure from the pic but looks pretty normal to me. Unless you tell me this has been in the fermenter for three weeks, then my vote is infected.

I am a tad worried that the gravity test I did with a turkey baster may have infected it tho. Especially since I used it on my Berliner a little while ago. I think I sanitized it enough. Guess I'll find out. My votes Krausen too

This is about day 3, i guess i will be able to tell better in a week or so

Holy confusing picture lol, needs some perspective!, pull back a bit lol

3 days in is way to early for an infection to set in. let it ride and see where it goes. My guess is that it is not infected.

I'll add to it, the reason i was worried was i did a gravity check with equipment i had sanitized but was used in another batch(sour) that had Lacto in it.

So far no pellicle, so i think it is good

Given that it's 3 days in to fermentation, that looks very normal. It's just a healthy, creamy looking krausen.

I personally do not see the need to do a gravity check on day 3 when there is obvious fermentation activity occurring, as evident in your photo. I would trust that the yeast is doing it's job and wait until visible fermentation activity comes to a stop before doing a gravity test. RDWHAHB.

Given that it's 3 days in to fermentation, that looks very normal. It's just a healthy, creamy looking krausen.

I personally do not see the need to do a gravity check on day 3 when there is obvious fermentation activity occurring, as evident in your photo. I would trust that the yeast is doing it's job and wait until visible fermentation activity comes to a stop before doing a gravity test. RDWHAHB.

Oh i did the gravity test when fermentation was over(or near over). the beer is 3 weeks old now and tastes good. 5% Alc APA. Bottling Saturday

Back