Regarding Light Penetration of Fermenting Buckets....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about hop isomerization in the past few days. Apparently, light up to 520 nm (ie: well into visible) is enough to "skunk" the beer. "Okay," I though,"I use buckets, no light can get in there, I'm good."

So the other day, I'm adding a fresh brew to the primary. I found myself using a flashlight shining through the wall of the bucket to see where the level was when I was topping off. Then I had an epiphany: if my crappy flashlight can penetrate the walls of the bucket, then perhaps the ambient light of the basement can get in there as well?

Then I saw the airlock on top. It's more or less a clear piece of plastic connected to a hole in the lid. Surely light must be getting in the airlock hole...

...what do you guys think about this? Can enough light from standard household sources (incandescent, flourescent, etc) get into an Ale Pail to cause damage (ie: skunking) of the brew?

Just don't put it in the closet with the grow lights for err... Hops?

I use cornies for fermentation and such, so I don't share the same concerns. That sad, look at 90% of the brewers who use glass carboys or better bottles. Limit light exposure, and you'll be fine!

You are WAY overthinking. Any light that sneaks in will not have a perceptible effect on the palatability of the beer.

Just limit the exposure and you'll be fine. A occasional sunbeam dancing across the lid or flicker of light isn't going to damage your beer. Beer is pretty resilient stuff given a bit of common sense. The wavelength PLUS length of exposure is what gives skunky aromas and flavors. A blip isn't going to do much at all.

I grow basil in my basement; there's about 50 watts of fluorescent light on down there about 12 hours a day. I'm still probably over-thinking it, though. My beer tastes fine.

I grow basil in my basement; there's about 50 watts of fluorescent light on down there about 12 hours a day. I'm still probably over-thinking it, though. My beer tastes fine.

Then cover the buckets with a trash bag if you're still concerned. Out of sight, out of mind.

Back