Regarding Avatars...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Does anyone else subconsciously transpose someone's avatar (providing it's a human face, etc.) onto their respective owner? Like, for example, every time Soulive posts, I can't help but think that a mustachioed 1980's Don Mattingly is typing. Without having met the poster, I think it's a natural reaction.

Of course, this doesn't bode well for me, given how goofy Billy Carter is. Believe me, I don't look like him. Or do I?

And no, Bird, I still can't picture you as Winston Wolfe. ;) :D

Until I saw the ad for Billy Beer, I figured that you were a guy in your 60's who posted a shot of yourself at a BBQ in the late 60's early 70's. Too much aint it? :)

I think I'm guilty of the same. I know for sure that I often use an avatar as a cue to read something from one of the "regular" folks who tend to have good advice. Whenever they change avatars, it throws me for a loop.

Hey, I think fast, I talk fast, I type fast like The Wolf!

I figger there are three types of folks here:

1. Guys like me who get bored quickly and change avatars every few weeks. I'm probably the biggest culprit, but I'm not the only one.

2. Guys who change avatars seasonally, usually to celebrate the start of football or baseball season.

3. People who have NEVER changed their avatar.

You're kinda in the middle there, Evan! Me, I'm already thinking about the next one... I've had a few I loved, but I *hate* going back to the well.

I change mine whenever I feel like it. I usually rotate back through the same ones, though.

and before you ask, I do not usually dress as a dominatrix with a whip. Only on weekends.

I kind of do this subconsciously too, even if I know what the posters look like. I unfortunately do not look like Donnie Baseball. I'm actually a tall blond chick, I've had you all fooled...

Misc_Pix_009_2.jpg

All the time. In my mind I honestly think TxBrew looks like his avatar, even though he is younger and says he has a full beard. And I think sause is just a giant sports mascot dressed like a comma (OK, so I don't really think that).

McKBrew said:
All the time. In my mind I honestly think TxBrew looks like his avatar, even though he is younger and says he has a full beard. And I think sause is just a giant sports mascot dressed like a comma (OK, so I don't really think that).

Ok, then, what does that make you? :D

the_bird said:
...3. People who have NEVER changed their avatar...
Guilty! I honestly never give my avatar much thought once I set it. Plus I tend to identify a person with their avatar as well so I don't change mine much for that same reason.

bradsul said:
Guilty! I honestly never give my avatar much thought once I set it. Plus I tend to identify a person with their avatar as well so I don't change mine much for that same reason.

Am I right in assuming that your avatar IS a picture of you?

the_bird said:
3. People who have NEVER changed their avatar.

I have definitely NOT been accused of this. I wish I would have kept all of my avatars. My contribution to "The Graveyard" would be substantial.

I like to change things up occasionally. I probably should stick with one, but I still have to cycle through a few more.

olllllo said:
Bird, has your avatar been to the joint? I mean he's got a tear tat.

To be honest I dig it. I thought it was a hopped out version of Billy or Dusty from that little old band from Texas... :rockin: Strap a fuzzy guitar on it and roll... :mug:

Ize

I'm actually guilty of this myself, to an extent, but I never actually think about it until the avatar changes (or until somebody points out the quirk). :)

I must admit, I'm not a civet cat, nor do I poop coffee.

Bernie Brewer said:
I don't think I would EVER be mistaken for a Hall-of-Famer...........

Well with the mustache....

And yes I am a giant Steel Comma.

(Sause brings back the time machine) I remember when people didn't have to pay up to have an avatar comma I had one before I paid up.

Hmm, well my children. I cannot say that my avatar does not necessarily represent some form of my actual persona.

Back