Refrigerator hauling....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I really need this one answered. I am supposed to be picking up an old fridge that I found on craigs list for free. I figure ill be making a kegerator at some point so this is a great find. The problem is that I heard that you cant tip a fridge on its side without ruining it, something about the liquid in the compressor/tubing that will burn up the next time you start it upright. Since I only have an SUV at my disposal i cant haul a fridge upright....is this true or can I carry this beast lying on its side?

Please help asap!

Thanks

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that if you had to tip it over to transport it, You should set it back upright for 24 hrs before running it, and then you'd be ok. Otherwise you could call an appliance store and ask the service guys what they think................

That's what I've heard too, although I would err on the safe side and keep it upright for 72 hours after hauling. If you can at least keep it tilted so the bottom end is lower it would be safer, too.

Absolutely you can tip it on it's side for transport. I have never given it the rest that others are talking about before plugging it back in but giving it 24 to 72 hours before doing that certainly won't hurt it. I have done this a few dozen times with multiple different refrigerators. I once stored a freezer upright for about a year and it didn't work again when i tried plugging it in. I was told that if I had the freon recharged it would work but at the time it wasn't worth the effort so I tossed it.

:tank:

Well i got the fridge home and I must say im very excited!!! Im going to leave it unplugged for a couple days and see if it still works when i get it back up and running. PUMPED!!!! Just as a question, does anyone know the best make-your-own kegerator thread on here?

Posted at 10:12AM
EamusCatuli said:
Hey guys,
I really need this one answered…Please help asap!
Thanks

Posted at 3:20PM
EamusCatuli said:
Well i got the fridge home…

All this time we’re crafting intellectual responses and debating the subject…you’re speeding across town???

Good thing we didn’t tell you that tipping a fridge will cause it to explode…

:D :D :D

Congrats on a good find. Search “kegerator”.

Oh no! I actually took what I heard from you guys and what I heard from my buddy on here, z987k, and all signs seemed to point to green. I was speeding across town though!

Thanks all

Back