Refrigerator Freezer freezing up!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedale

Reaction score
I have an Amana Refrigerator (don’t know model) it’s the one with the freezer on the bottom. The Freezer freezes up about every two months and the fridge stops cooling, I have to unplug it and defrost it and it’s good for another few months. I have it in my garage where the temps are not controlled.

Could that be a problem? Here in Texas the temps right now during the day are around 101F!

The real question I guess is, if I get a Temp controller like this (http://morebeer.com/view_product/16663/102282/Analog_Temperature_Controller)
and bypass the thermostat will that fix the problem or as I have also heard the auto defrost might be the culprit?

Anyone else had this problem any Fixes?

Sounds to me like the auto-defrost on the freezer is not functioning as it's supposed to. An additional temperature controller is not going to fix this problem.

Also, make sure the freezer door (drawer?) is sealing properly as any leaks will be drawing in moisture from the air, causing the freeze up.

Yeah, auto defrost isn't working, the problem is still going to be around no matter what thermostat you use.
If it's a mechanical older model, you might need a timer, klixon, thermal fuse or heater element. If it's a more modern electronic freezer, probably a coil thermistor, thermal fuse or heater element.

I've read that the thermal fuse could be the problem as to why the defrost is not working... Ha but finding that thing seems to be a task..:cross:

I was told that auto defrosting units with freezers are not good for garages because of the excessive heat. Maybe it would run better in your basement?

get the model # of the fridge. there are websites dedicated to fixing appliances. the hard part is you normally have to remove the inside hard surround to get to the parts that need to be trouble shot.

Latest posts

Back