Refrigerator for 3 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubikcube

Reaction score
I'm working on setting up a 3 gallon keg system. I've read quite a bit of info on mini fridges and it seems like a 4.5 cf is the way to go for 5 gallon kegs.

My problem with the 4.5 cf is that the ones I've found are just slightly too deep for the space (20 in max). There are quite a few 3.2 cf models that would fit the space. I know they won't fit the 5 gallon kegs, but what about the 3 gallon kegs? Anyone have any experience with using smaller kegs and smaller refrigerators?

A lot of time the issue isn't the height, but rather the width or depth in fitting the kegs. The 3 gallon kegs are roughly the same size around as the taller 5 gallon ones, so you may run into the same issue.

You'll simply have to hit the appliance stores with a tape measure. When I bought the fridge I turned into a kegerator, I even took a couple of kegs into the store to make sure they would fit.

Sears ended up not having that cooler in stock when they said they would, so I grabbed the next size up. Here is how everything fits.

image-2415148873.jpg

I wanted to give a quick update on how this setup is working for me.

The fridge that is pictured is sears item number 99619. The minimum temperature out of the box is 42. This would be great if I had longer lines, but I only have the 5ft lines that came with my keg kit from midwest. I pulled the cover off the thermostat and adjusted the calibration screw. After a half turn counterclockwise, the temperature was at about 38. In combination with 10PSI, this produces foam free pours.

After adjusting the temperature down, I was concerned about overloading the compressor. I used a Kill-O-Watt device to monitor the compressor's energy usage and found it to run 50% (+- 5%) of the time. In the interest of lower energy usage and also prolonging the life of the compressor, I added some reflective insulation that I bought from Lowes to the glass door. This allowed the compressor to only run 33% (+- 5%) of the time.

With my very limited space, I think this fridge is a great option to consider.

Good call on the insulation. I have a similar model I picked up off Craiglist last year for about $30 and I found by simply putting in some carboard sheets to line the glass, I was able to maintain lower temps with less usage.

Sears ended up not having that cooler in stock when they said they would, so I grabbed the next size up. Here is how everything fits.

How is this working out for you now? I see the 25 bottle version available for $44. I am considering it, is there no hump, or do the 2 3gal kegs just fit comfortably in there? How well does it hold temp? you still do just 3gallons?

dit, I see its a "snug" fit with just 1 keg and co2, you think you could fit a 2nd in ther any way? Im still considering the smaller one.

Ill need some more info on how you modified it to make the "max cool" lower.

It's working fairly well. I've made some upgrades to it since I last posted. I now have a 5 gallon keg and the 3 gallon keg in it at the same time. I also installed a dual tap tower with a cooling fan. Everything is still working well.

image-2566021935.jpg

Back