Refrigeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
So I have bottled my first beer about a week and a half ago. I know I am supossed to wait three weeks, but well...I am not. lol. So anyway, I just am testing one tonight and put it in the refrigerator. When I am actually getting ready to drink the beers, how long should I keep them in the fridge? Will the cold have an effect on taste or outcome of the taste? Thanks.

General consensus is that they should be in the fridge for a few days to a week for the CO2 to fully absorb into the beer. I have had some seem perfectly carbed up after about an hour in the freezer to chill from 75F when I'm not patient so you will really have to just play with it and see what works best for you. The flavor is almost always better after week 3 though so even if you think it is good now, try to wait some more before tearing into them.

pshh...I make an ice bath for my warm beers, after 30 mins are so I'm enjoying them. Might not be the recommended way to cool a handcrafted beer, but it works in a pinch.

I have put them in the fridge in the morning and had one about 10PM and it was good. A few were better after 24 hours. After that I have not seen any big difference by sitting longer. YMMV

What I have found is that at 2 weeks bottle conditioning a few are ready. One at 2 weeks was disappointing and at 3 weeks was one of my best. Most take 3 weeks. I have a Winter Warmer Ale that I brewed last November hoping for late February. It is still not ready.

Higher gravity beer will definitely benefit from cold conditioning. You can get by with the small beers without much conditioning at all

Back