Refrigeration Help - Hot to the touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysailor

Reaction score
I have a side by fridge in use for a kegerator. It's relatively new and has always worked great. When I cam home from work tonight there was a "hot smell" in the house. When I went downstairs I noticed that smell was coming from the reefer. Things in the kegerator seem to be staying cold but the face of the partition between the two compartments is extremely hot. I thought it could maybe have something to do with self defrosting but I doubt it. Any ideas?

I have this problem on a regular basis. First, make sure the condensor fins are clean and clear, the make sure your condensor fan is running. My fan gets stuck and i often have to pull the fridge out and give it a spin for it to start. This is a result of me being too cheap to replace a 1 watt fan for $136.

I have this problem on a regular basis. First, make sure the condensor fins are clean and clear, the make sure your condensor fan is running. My fan gets stuck and i often have to pull the fridge out and give it a spin for it to start. This is a result of me being too cheap to replace a 1 watt fan for $136.

Thanks for the considerate response. I just pulled the cover off the back and the fan was stuck. I think the fan is burned up but I'll power back up and cross my fingers. If it takes a new fan then so be it. We've been brewing up a storm so we'd have beer for the holidays so I need to get this thing fixed.

My condenser fans don't run during the defrost cycle.
Check the schematic on the back of your fridge.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

My condenser fans don't run during the defrost cycle.
Check the schematic on the back of your fridge.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

When the frame is hot, the first thing I check is the cooling fan. Some units run a condenser loop up around the frame to keep it from sweating. If the fan goes bad then the freon running through it comes up MUCH hotter. He has a bad fan.

If the compressor goes bad from over heating it is going to be much worse than that. It used to be all the units pretty much used the same fan. Now there are circuit boards, etc. involved. You could always get a small fan, take off the back and just cool it that way.

Quick edit. GE has a bottom mount that is 'famous' for having the fan stop due to a bad circuit board. I've replaced many.

If the compressor goes bad from over heating it is going to be much worse than that. It used to be all the units pretty much used the same fan. Now there are circuit boards, etc. involved. You could always get a small fan, take off the back and just cool it that way.

Quick edit. GE has a bottom mount that is 'famous' for having the fan stop due to a bad circuit board. I've replaced many.

I know. I sell commercial refrigeration so I am well aware that the much higher repair bill will be all my fault for not taking care of the "small" problem now. I just can't seem to allow myself to get screwed for a 1 watt fan. I have thought about other low tech options like you suggest. The problem is happening less than it used to and I can tell when the box gets hot.

I know. I sell commercial refrigeration so I am well aware that the much higher repair bill will be all my fault for not taking care of the "small" problem now. I just can't seem to allow myself to get screwed for a 1 watt fan. I have thought about other low tech options like you suggest. The problem is happening less than it used to and I can tell when the box gets hot.

Most appliance parts stores are good at coming up with parts that work in place of the more expensive options. Sometimes the identical part will be available under different vendors at different prices. More often than not there are 'kits' that fit a variety of applications that come with brackets, connectors, etc.... I have a drawer full of computer cooling fans that I have pulled out of one brand of refrigerator.

Most appliance parts stores are good at coming up with parts that work in place of the more expensive options. Sometimes the identical part will be available under different vendors at different prices. More often than not there are 'kits' that fit a variety of applications that come with brackets, connectors, etc.... I have a drawer full of computer cooling fans that I have pulled out of one brand of refrigerator.

I should probably get on that. I just don't know if it would be as simple as finding 1-3watt A/C fan to wire in place of the sticky one.

I should probably get on that. I just don't know if it would be as simple as finding 1-3watt A/C fan to wire in place of the sticky one.

I worked for a major manufacturer for the past 22+ years so I'm kinda rusty on the after market stuff. You indicate it is a 'newer' which sometimes is what keeps the price up because after market hasn't kicked in yet. Not sure you can 'assume' A/C though. GE uses 12 volt DC for that fan now. I'd just start with the call to the local parts place or even do a web search. If there is an after market you should find it there with no problem.

Back