Refrigerated Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da11en47

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was making a batch and realized I didn't have any yeast, ran down to the store mid cook and bought some. It was being stored in the fridge there, brought it home, re hydrated it and pitched it in at temperatures that were pretty ideal.

It is a brown ale and has been carbing for over 3 weeks now, refrigerated for a week, and something taste off.

My question is did I do something wrong by perhaps not letting the yeast reach room temperature or what's the proper procedure for preparing yeast when it's been stored in the fridge? Could this be causing off flavors? Thanks.

I doubt it was the yeast. If you can describe the taste better than "off", others may be able to help you trouble shoot.

Other helpful info would include the yeast strain used, pitching an fermentation temperatures, time in primary, etc.

As far as different flavors are concerned, your beer will change. I made a Surly Bitter Brewer Clone that three weeks out from bottling had a wonderful orange marmelade taste. Long story short, the beer matured and the taste went away.

I agree, I'm not sure you need to worry about thermal shock until after the yeast are rehydrated, otherwise dumping them in 90-95 degree water even from room temp would be a problem I'd think. It is recommended to gradually bring the warm rehydrated yeast to pitching temps by adding small amounts of wort at a time, but sounds like you did that? At any rate, I frequently rehydrate dry yeast straight out of the fridge, mainly because I always forget to take it out. I've not seen any issues.

As was suggested, can you give more info about your off flavor?

Back