Refrigerate bottles or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I did a Mango IPA (6lbs of mango in the fermenter) about 6 months ago and it was fantastic. A light carmel malt taste followed by a strong, but not overpowering, unmistakable mango flavor followed by a solid cent. and cascade hop finish. That was the first impression, two weeks after bottling. I waited a week or so before trying another bottle and the flavor was still there but weakened and much less distinctively mango. Instead it was just citrusy. I put some bottles in the fridge right then and there in hopes of slowing down the yeast. (I assumed this diminishing flavor was due to the yeast consuming the residual mango sugar) It was to no avail. As the bottles age the mango flavor kept disappearing and was slowly replaced by a sour citrusy punch.

I have just done a watermelon wheat beer and would like to avoid the same fate. It has been in the btls for 1 week and I am looking for some suggestions. Should I put them all in the fridge after 2 weeks? Is there another way to slow down the yeast? Or, should I just throw a party and make sure they are all drunk within a month?

Any info/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Drink up, me hearties yo ho!

(I don't have anything useful to add, I just wanted to use that line. Sorry, I've been raiding the mini fridge a bit tonight.)

Toss 'em in the back of the fridge once they're carbed, I guess. Drink 'em young -- like most good wheats.

That's what I've planning to do (drink em young) I was just hoping there was a really good way to preserve the fresh fruit flavor for longer, but I guess any excuse to drink is a good one!

That's what I've planning to do (drink em young) I was just hoping there was a really good way to preserve the fresh fruit flavor for longer, but I guess any excuse to drink is a good one!

The best way would be to chemically arrest the yeast, add the watermelon, keg, force carb and bottle with a Blichmann beer gun. That's what I do with my "fresh" fruit beers ;)

The best way would be to chemically arrest the yeast, add the watermelon, keg, force carb and bottle with a Blichmann beer gun. That's what I do with my "fresh" fruit beers ;)

I would love to do that, but I am not set up to keg. One day perhaps, but right now I just don't have that kind of money.

Back