Refractometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezzesteak

Reaction score
After doing some studies and reading on refractos i just sick and tired of using a hydrometer and wasting a couple oz of beer everytime i am going to go to a refractometer. any success stories or brands that people have luck with. i for sure want to get one with ATC so i dont have to worry about temp....

any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

got mine on ebay , from the "far east" as others have done. Just under $40 shipped.
You still need your hydrometer though, good to have two readings.
The refractometer I got was for beer and wine brewing and the scale already had plato on one side and SG on the other side, so no conversions needed pre-fermentation.
You just need to calibrate your refractometer to 0 with 68degree distilled water inside. Then I take my readings inside as well in the 68degree environment. Just a tiny drop is all that's needed. You can get instant gravity readings during your mash, sparge, preboil and pre-fermentation. I don't even use the hydrometer during the brew day.
Like yesterday, I missed some on my mashing temp and I was a little low in gravity and thus I knew I could add some DME pre boil to make it up.

Now once it's in the fermenter, just use the morebeer spreadsheet, it has the formula that corrects for fermentation/alcohol and it has been spot on. So before I keg I do the hydro and the refract reading to make sure.

Don't worry about brand names or anything. They are pretty much interchangebale. Just make sure it is cheap and has automatic temp control (ATC). I think I paid 25 bucks for mine. There was a place selling them for 15 bucks awhile ago that HBT-ers cleaned out. I know folks have paid 100 bucks for the same piece of equiptment that we paid less than 1/4th for. They really aren't anything all that special. It really is just a plastic and glass optical device- it doesn't need to have the "porshe" logo on it if you get my drift.

And no, it won't replace your hydromter....it will allow you to take pre-fermtentation readings with just a drop..which is great if you are an ag brewer (I make take 3-4 readings during a typical brew day) but once fermentation begins you really do end up back with your ole hydrometer.

I hate disagreeing with Revvy, but I consistently measure my post fermentation readings against a hydrometer and they are always right on. You have to know the OG, and you have to run the figures through a conversion formula, but you CAN use a refractometer on fermented beer.

I use the converter program on my Android phone usually, but you can download a spreadsheet that does the same thing.

And a refractometer simplified my brewday a lot!

I love my refractometer on brew day. I still use a hydrometer for FG. I don't trust the charts and besides, it's called a 'sample' for a reason.....lol

I love my refractometer on brew day. I still use a hydrometer for FG. I don't trust the charts and besides, it's called a 'sample' for a reason.....lol

Yeah,

I know some people do use the calculators but to me that's another step to do, and I've wondered about their accuracy. Besides once it is fermented I drink my samples for quality control. I tried licking the refractometer, but that's not enough to get a true taste, plus you get some weird readings after. ;)

Yeah I always have a sample's worth left in the fermenter anyway if I care to take a reading at that point and if I do, the only reason I do is because I can.

I need a refractometer, but so far I've been to much of a cheap ass to shell out the money for one. I keep thinking of all the grain I can buy for $40.

I guess some people take way more samples than I do. I take a total of 3 usually. One pre-boil after I've mashed out and sparged everything, one while racking to the primary fermenter, and one when I think it's done fermenting.

I do use my refractometer, though, at least on brew day to check the preboil gravity.

Yeah,

I know some people do use the calculators but to me that's another step to do, and I've wondered about their accuracy. Besides once it is fermented I drink my samples for quality control. I tried licking the refractometer, but that's not enough to get a true taste, plus you get some weird readings after. ;)

I don't consider using a refractometer as an extra step. I consider it saving time and effort. How hard is it to enter 5.2 into a phone and hit enter?

Yeah you don't get a sample, but unless I suspect there is an infection I can wait.

My point is that in my experience, with a properly calibrated refractometer, I can get dead-on readings post fermentation, when compared to a hydrometer.

Yeah,

I tried licking the refractometer, but that's not enough to get a true taste, plus you get some weird readings after. ;)

no, your doing it all wrong. you have to lick THEN stick! i hear ya on the lack of tasteability of these wonderful gadgets... so i just break out the glass thief! :mug:

True, I don't take many readings. I do one for the mash and then after the sparge(pre-boil SG), then I do one when going into the fermenter.

I won't take another one for 3 or 4 weeks until I am ready to check FG.
It will be a hydro and refract then. I know the calculations can help you track it all the way down to the end and such, but you'll know from experience that's the gravity is going to be good at the end of a long fermentation.

The refractometer is awesome for the brewday itself.

I guess some people take way more samples than I do. I take a total of 3 usually. One pre-boil after I've mashed out and sparged everything, one while racking to the primary fermenter, and one when I think it's done fermenting.

I do use my refractometer, though, at least on brew day to check the preboil gravity.

I used the MoreBeer spreadsheet for post-ferment readings and compared vs. my hydrometer and it was way off and not in a consistent way I could correct for. I use my hydrometer for pre-ferment readings though.

Back