Refractometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I took a few samples of my post boil wort and read through my new refractometer and I got a few different readings. Anyone else have similar issues? How do I get consistent readings? Refractometer has been calibrated.

In my experience, most inconsistencies I've seen from my refractometer have come from relying too much on the refractometer to temp correct a hot wort sample.

The way I test hot wort is to fill a dropper full of wort sample, set it aside for a couple minutes, then put a drop on only after it's had a chance to cool down to near-room temperature. Then I empty the dropper, take another sample and repeat the whole process again to make sure the 2nd result matches the first. Of course you'll also want to stir the wort before sampling each time.

Another thing I noticed is you should be careful to clean it only with water & a soft cloth. I was using lens cleaner wipes for a time there and realized this was enough to completely screw up all my readings.

Stirring is critical. Even after a boil there tends to be stratification within the wort. Give it a good swirl, then take a few readings from different parts of the kettle. If they all jibe, you're good.

Stirring is critical. Even after a boil there tends to be stratification within the wort. Give it a good swirl, then take a few readings from different parts of the kettle. If they all jibe, you're good.

+1. Works like a charm.

Back