Refloating Fruit in JAOM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LastKnight

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Had an odd occurrence lately; my Joe's Ancient Orange Mead was begun the first of February, and was showing all signs of soon being done - the fruit was dropping, the nectar was clearing, and soon there would be bottled goodness. And then, over night, all my orange slices refloated themselves -from the bottom of the jug, right back up to the top, without so much as a by-your-leave. While it hasn't returned to its earlier murkiness, it also hasn't become that crystal clear amber I've been led to expect.

Soooo... what's going on, here? Any educated guesses from our panel of meadmakers?

you've got lots and lots of CO2 in solution, and the bubbles eventually caused your fruit to re-float. That's my guess.

Yup, what az said, we actually just had a thread on the same topic like a week ago, it happens.

No worries, yeah as the co2 bubbles release their hold on the fruit it should begin to drop back down.

Back