Reflectix on stove top brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
While researching the grainfather, i saw a lot of folks adding a layer of reflectix insulation to help improve the boil. unfortunately, i can't justify the expense for a grainfather right now since i have a perfectly decent all grain system already (i also want to see how they hold up after a few years of use). i brew on a nature gas stove top using the high output burner and a 8 gallon bayou classic kettle. i usually have to keep the lid about half on to get a nice roll to my boil. i found myself wondering if putting reflectix on the kettle (which is pretty thin) would help with a stronger boil. most of what i found was folks doing this with an electric brewing system and not stove top.

While researching the grainfather, i saw a lot of folks adding a layer of reflectix insulation to help improve the boil. unfortunately, i can't justify the expense for a grainfather right now since i have a perfectly decent all grain system already (i also want to see how they hold up after a few years of use). i brew on a nature gas stove top using the high output burner and a 8 gallon bayou classic kettle. i usually have to keep the lid about half on to get a nice roll to my boil. i found myself wondering if putting reflectix on the kettle (which is pretty thin) would help with a stronger boil. most of what i found was folks doing this with an electric brewing system and not stove top.

I would be worried about the plastic melting or burning. The reflectix has plastic between the foil.

I've used reflectix for my smaller batches on the stove top to help get a better boil. It seemed to make a difference, but the one time I turned on the back burner instead of the front, it melted and I had to re-do it. I only use it now to help keep my kettle at temp during mashing (BIAB), and take it off during the boil, burnt plastic is no fun.

I have seen it on some gas systems, and the bottom tends to look burned away. If you kept it a few inches up from the bottom of the pot, you might be ok -- maybe test with a small piece of it taped up a few inches from the bottom on your next brew.

alright. probably won't try this. i get a decent enough boil with the lid partially on. thanks for the input.

Back