reflectix insulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
can anyone attest to the reflectix wrap you can get at home depot for water heaters ( not the thick regular insulation blanket type but the thin air bubble wrapped in two sheets foil etc type ) Want to insulate keggle with it. thanks, doc

I wrapped my boil kettle with it, and I use a gas stove.

There are some melted spots, for sure, but mostly it's still good. I do notice a difference in boil times.

B

If you're using the keggle for an MLT (the keggle won't be getting 60-90 min. of direct heat like a boil kettle would), it can work with minimal melt potential. Buy the thick foil tape (comes in a roll with a peel-off backing) and tape the reflectix seems and the bottom circumference of the layers (I use 3) of relectix. Also tape over the bottom weep holes of the keg so flames don't shoot up through them... HOWEVER, be careful with this. Those weep holes also aid in ventilation under the keg skirt. If you let the propane run too long without lighting and there was no wind, propane could build up under the keg and explode when you go to light it.

This is what I do, I'm wary of the propane build-up and have had no problems yet. The reflectix does warp (melt) a little from the heat, but it should stay intact for at least 2 years.

I have it on my turkey fryer and yes it burns easily (and stinks) Just be wise of where you wrap it and use the metal flashing tape to seal your edges as well.
-Me

/david

do they sell engine compartment stuff at auto stores? doc

Back