Refermentation in bottle - pitching rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooplehead

Reaction score
I am going to try my first attempt at refermenting in bottle. Does anyone have experience with this? What is the normal pitching rate? I plan on using liquid yeast (WLP 550). I have a 5g batch of strong dark Belgian. For example, should I add one vial of yeast with the priming sugar before bottling? Of course I want to avoid exploding bottles...

any thoughts greatly appreciated.

are you refering to bottle carbination or what? whats the gravity of your 5g currently...if its not attenuated all the way your gonna explode bottles

bottle carbonation, yes. The OG is 1.086 and FG after 8 days in the primary is 1.020 (77% attenuation). I was shooting for 1.011 but have come to find out that the large amount of extract I used may well have too many long chain sugars for the yeast to handle at this point. I may not have aerated well enough either - even though I am using a highly attenuating yeast (WLP 550 @80-90%) there is likely not enough oxygen or nutrients left for the yeast to get the gravity down. The wort is sweet right now and I am hoping a month in the secondary may eek it down some more. I am also contemplating a new yeast starter with fresh yeast for the secondary. Thoughts?

usually after your positive its fully attenuated you add 3/4 cup priming sugar per 5 gals. i would use a nutral bottling dry yeasy but thats just me. No reason to waste good expensive liquid yeast on bottling. Use nottingham possibly...?

Give it a few more days and it it doesnt drop you can always reptich another starter of the same yeast. Im getting about 75% attenuation with promash but id say you still have a bit more to go. WLP website says 78-85%....what temp are you fermering at? you could try moving it to a slightly warmer area to get it regoing but i would let it sit for a few more days. I have a beer right now which started at 1.059 is still fermenting 2 weeks later (beligain wit). Give it time and it will do its thing...in a few more days check gravity and if it didint move consider a starter of fresh wlp550.

Back