Reducing agents for oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togabear

Reaction score
I recently got a keezer, and it has improved my beer drastically. However, I used a blow off tube for the first time in the keezer, and then cold crashed. DOH! I have read about this 100 times, should have known. My dubbel was slightly oxidized in the process, which sucks.

Has anyone tried using redox reactions with food safe chemicals to remove this? Are there any food safe options that will flock out of solution? The batch is ruined because it was for a competition, and I don't want to submit anything less than perfect. Anyone in the food industry!?

If no one has ideas, I will just give it to unsuspecting friends as the oxidize flavor blends ok with the clove flavor, and I am being picky.

Don't shoot the guesser, never tried this, but have noticed strong antioxidant properties with potassium metabisulfite, then force carb...

If it already tastes oxidized, I don't think there is anything you can do to reverse it. Sulfite will help prevent oxidation, but it won't fix oxidation once it's already happened.

Since when is using a blow-off tube in a keezer and cold crashing a source for oxidation?

And, "some" reports suggest very small doses of cinimon as an anti-oxidant.

I recently got a keezer, and it has improved my beer drastically. However, I used a blow off tube for the first time in the keezer, and then cold crashed. DOH! I have read about this 100 times, should have known. My dubbel was slightly oxidized in the process, which sucks.

Has anyone tried using redox reactions with food safe chemicals to remove this? Are there any food safe options that will flock out of solution? The batch is ruined because it was for a competition, and I don't want to submit anything less than perfect. Anyone in the food industry!?

If no one has ideas, I will just give it to unsuspecting friends as the oxidize flavor blends ok with the clove flavor, and I am being picky.

I'm confused. So did the cold crash suck all of your blow off water (sanitizer or whatever) into the beer and now it's drawing air in? If so, I don't see oxidation being the chief concern as much as what was in the blow off trap.

Since when is using a blow-off tube in a keezer and cold crashing a source for oxidation?

I'm totally lost on this as a source of oxidation as well.

And, "some" reports suggest very small doses of cinimon as an anti-oxidant.

Charlie Papazian talked about it in an old Basic Brewing podcast. He adds it to the mash tun. He said it doesn't affect the flavor at all, but does have anti-oxidation properties. Don't know if it's true or not...

Sorry for not being clear, wrote that while rushing out for work.

Yes, when cold crashing, the blow off tube sucked all the sanitizer from the jar, then it sucked in air. I didn't touch it for a week after cold crashing, so it was sitting there with air in the head space, oxidizing it.

Like I said, its not a major flavor (malt and yeast are dominant), but does have an apparent taste of wet cardboard in the background that covers up all the rummy sugar flavors that make dubbels great.

Hope this clarifies. Anyone got any ideas? Just looking for an experiment to try with a flawed beer. BTW, I am relaxed, and I will have a homebrew. :)

I am doubtful that the suck back is the source of oxidation as the sanitizer jar would have also been purged by CO2. Have never tasted a beer with a healthy dose of sanitizer but, I don't expect it'd be very pleasant.

I am doubtful that the suck back is the source of oxidation as the sanitizer jar would have also been purged by CO2. Have never tasted a beer with a healthy dose of sanitizer but, I don't expect it'd be very pleasant.

You should try to avoid that suckback in the future, but your staleness/off-flavors are probably coming from somewhere else.

Did you do all of these:
1. Pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast. Use a starter if necessary.
2. Ferment at the correct temperatures. (Internal temperature, not the ambient temperature.)
3. Sanitize all of your equipment that makes contact with the cooled wort/finished beer.
4. Condition your beer over 3 weeks minimum. Even longer for high gravity beers like dubbels.

Back