Red X help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m interested in using up some Red X I bought a while back. I’m shooting for a hoppy red, maybe a west coast red.
I have about 5lbs of Red X. I also have 20lb each of MO, 2row and Pils. I also have several lbs of c-40 and one lb of c-80.
I’m trying to use what I have and don’t want to make a trip to buy more grain. Im thinking of 5lb MO and 5 of Red X.

I also have ability to brew 3 gallon batches if I don’t have enough red.

Any suggestions on the grain bill?

Red x is great. I’ve used it multiple times. I’ve used it mixed with base malts 50/50 but that really give much “redness” to it, so you’d have to play with some darker grains to help there. The best thing is to use Red-x as all your base malt. It’s like a crimson red used that way. I do a hoppy red using
92% -red x
5% -carapils
3% - cara Munich
I’ll look to find a picture

Red x is great. I’ve used it multiple times. I’ve used it mixed with base malts 50/50 but that really give much “redness” to it, so you’d have to play with some darker grains to help there. The best thing is to use Red-x as all your base malt. It’s like a crimson red used that way. I do a hoppy red using
92% -red x
5% -carapils
3% - cara Munich
I’ll look to find a picture
That’s really helpful. Thanks for info.
I’m trying to figure out the maltiness of it so I can figure out hop bill. I’m thinking of using cascade and maybe a touch of Citra because that’s what I have on hand.
How many ibu’s did you use?

If you guys ever get the chance to get some Viking Red Active grab some . That one you can use up to 100% of your grain bill . Produces a great color and flavor .

If you guys ever get the chance to get some Viking Red Active grab some . That one you can use up to 100% of your grain bill . Produces a great color and flavor .
They are probably pretty similar. Red x you can use 100% too but I just like the body the carapils brings and the added flavor from the cara Munich.

That’s really helpful. Thanks for info.
I’m trying to figure out the maltiness of it so I can figure out hop bill. I’m thinking of using cascade and maybe a touch of Citra because that’s what I have on hand.
How many ibu’s did you use?

The flavor is bready toffee similar to mixing biscuit and c40/60 but not as intense. Nice flavor for sure.

I’ve used a few different combos with it but the two I really liked were
1) chinook, cascade and Citra
2) Simcoe and mosaic
Both were around 60-65 ibus

Back