Red wine still bubbling after 11 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I have a cheap S type airlock and when it first started it was bubbling every 5-10 seconds, big clusters of bubbles which actually blew out some of the airlock water. After 4 days it was down to around 15 seconds, then 20 seconds and now I think its around 30 seconds between clusters but it is still bubbling...

Is this normal? I don't have a gravity reader but should I move to the next stage and add the stabilizer and clearing agents?

I think you need to obtain an hydrometer to determine the current gravity level and whether the bubbles in the airlock are indicative of further fermentation (and so the gravity is still dropping) and not, for example, the outgassing of CO2.

Unfortunately where I live it is not easy to get these kind of things, they would have to be ordered online and the shipping makes it very expensive :(

No I'm in Berlin but I'd really rather not get a hydrometer for now, I have one at my parents house and will get it soon so it would be a waste to buy an extra one.

Anyway... Day 14, still bubbling now at 25 seconds per blobloblob so I just gave it the super scientific taste test... and it is still extremely sweet, almost syrupy..........

I gave it a gentle stir to introduce a little more oxygen and see if that helps it at all but so far its still bubbling every 25 seconds the same as before, temperature around 25*C

Any ideas? I have another packet of yeast, maybe I should add some?

I am starting to worry the whole batch might end up going down the toilet :(

The original specific gravity would help or at least a guess at what ever it is you're making, I think your yeast is fine if it's going that crazy. 14 days isn't that long. I mean mine still blopblops from time to time and that was last years harvest so 14 months ago.

The original specific gravity would help or at least a guess at what ever it is you're making, I think your yeast is fine if it's going that crazy. 14 days isn't that long. I mean mine still blopblops from time to time and that was last years harvest so 14 months ago.

Well the final alcohol is meant to be around 12% according to the recipe.

I once had a beer that took ages to finish, by the time it finally did it tasted pretty bad, I figured because it was fermented too slowly. I heard fermenting too fast or slow produces bad tastes, this beer was pretty rank so I figured that was the reason.

So you don't think adding more yeast would help? It's also from a different packet, same brand but not sure if its the same yeast....

Attached a pic of how it looks right now:

12312104_10153816667349612_1285917031_n.jpg

... I'd really rather not get a hydrometer for now, I have one at my parents house and will get it soon so it would be a waste to buy an extra one.
No, trust me, it IS worth it to have a spare.....they are fragile things that happen to break at the most inopportune moments....and Lady Luck seems to dictate if you have no spare, you will break yours, sooner than later....if you have a backup, you may never need it....funny how that kinda stuff goes.

No, trust me, it IS worth it to have a spare.....they are fragile things that happen to break at the most inopportune moments....and Lady Luck seems to dictate if you have no spare, you will break yours, sooner than later....if you have a backup, you may never need it....funny how that kinda stuff goes.

Yeah I think I will get one for my next brew but for this one I think its a bit late :/ But you are right about sods law, this is my first time brewing without one and of course the time I actually really needed it :/

Anyway, 19 days now and still bubbling slowly :( Really don't know what to do... Does anyone thing I should add a little more yeast from a different packet or is it too late for that?

Anyway, 19 days now and still bubbling slowly :( Really don't know what to do... Does anyone thing I should add a little more yeast from a different packet or is it too late for that?
If it's still bubbling, let it be (even if it's not bubbling, relax)....although you really should get a hydrometer soon, as that is the only way to verify how far along it is, otherwise you're just guessing, as it could appear finished but only be stuck.......wines and meads are in no hurry, unlike beers....give it a few weeks, transfer to a secondary, and let it be some more, transferring off of lees as necxessary. Relax, my friend

A question, is this wine you're making from a kit? It seems they rush you to bottle it quick so you might turn around and buy another kit, dunno...any chance of you posting up your recipe? And again, get a hydrometer....in the scheme of things, it's not that expensive....cheaper than dinner for two out on the town, and one will last 'til it breaks, the other willl last an hour or two...easy to justify the $$$ when put into whatever perspective

Yes, it is this kit:
http://www.wilko.com/wine-homebrew-kits/wilko-30-bottle-cabernet-sauvignon-wine/invt/0318378

Was expired by about a year but made a successful yeast starter so figured it would be fine. I also have 2 test batches of skeeter pee which are also still fizzing so this yeast seems extremely slow, maybe because it was a bit old. Is hobbling along like an old man :)

Anyway last night I noticed it has slowed down ALOT, maybe 1/4 of the bubbling that it had on my last post. So maybe it has finally finished. I'll give it another day or 2 and give another sweetness taste test.

But it is good to know that slow fermenting wont ruin the wine like it did my beer in the past, I thought I was waiting weeks and weeks for a 20L bucket of vinegar.......

Back