Red Tail Brewing Company, Reed City, MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the place I used to get my hair cut closed and it looks like a brewery is remodeling it for their use.

I cannot find much information about them, except a few slim posts on Facebook. I could not find any information on LARA about a brewing license, nor any website.

Anyone know who may be starting this, and the particulars of the brewery? I'm assuming it will be like a 3 bbl system judging by the size of our small town...

It seems they took the winter off. It's been bad here for weather and temps. My guess is they ran into the (expected) delays with licensing and finances and decided to wait until spring to come back up and continue with the remodel.

There wasn't a lot of information on the facebook page to begin with. I know from seeing several people start up breweries that it usually takes 6 months to a year longer than they expect to get licensed and able to brew. I got a friend across the street at the video store keeping an eye on it for me. Well, I didn't ask her to, but she knows I homebrew and tends to keep me informed when things happen. She said she hasn't seen anyone all winter.

Well, I saw one post on their facebook page asking about graphic designers to help clean up their logo. So I guess they are still working towards opening. Hopefully they will buy billboard space and advertise on the freeway, otherwise Reed City is going to be a tough place to make a living selling beer with any flavor...

Yeah, the article was from last August and claims they wanted to be open around the start of this year. I'm expecting them to be more like later this year.

I was afraid they got a little shocked by the cost of the licensing and the chronic delays that seem to be part of the process of getting licensed. Plus, historically, Reed City has been "difficult" to work with, as far as new businesses are concerned.

The adage every Brewery that's opened agrees with is "It's going to take twice as long and cost twice as much"

On a related note. Brecker brewery in brighton should be opening in the next few months. They just bought some mirrors from ye old swedish furniture co. And had it delivered. Spoke with owners mom, said they were almost done. Were getting up to bar on handicap codes.

Red Tail just got approved for a loan from the city to finish the place up. Supposedly going to open in a couple of months. I haven't actually heard anything recently, but the wife of the brewer stopped by while I was brewing in my garage and we chatted for a bit. I think they only needed a few more dollars to get the building and food equipment in order. I think they've moved the brewing equipment in already.

I'm hoping for an early winter opening.

Well as far as I know this place never opened. It is now mid 2017. What happened?

Hey, thanks for asking! I completely forgot about this thread!

As it turns out, Red Tail is not going to open...

Because they Renamed it Reed City Brewing Company! Kevin and Deanna are actually opening July 1st (Tomorrow!) after what seems like forever trying to get started.

I don't know the reasons for all of the delays, but I know some were license related, some were personal and I'm suspecting there was some financial considerations in there as well.

But, I'm excited to see them open and while I won't be able to visit tomorrow due to being out of town, I will be checking them out as soon as I get back. I am hoping it will be a nice place to watch football and hockey this coming season.

I think Kevin said he will be having 6 beers on tap at the grand opening, and I think they should have wine and cider at some point too. I believe they will be working towards serving food soon too.

https://m.facebook.com/RedTailBrewingCo#_=_

Latest posts

Back